Sub upgrade suggestions requested

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryMil, Mar 3, 2002.

1. GaryMil

GaryMil Stunt Coordinator

I'm seriously considering upgrading my sub from Paradigm ps1000 to something more musical but still decent for ht. Onecall is clearing out the Velodyne FSX12 MKII for 523.86. I know someone is going to suggest the SVS 25-31 PCi for roughly the same amount. I've never heard of SVS until I started reading this board maybe a month ago. I do like what I've read so far about them, but I'm worried that a 31" tall sub will fail the spousal approval factor. My home theater is in my family room. If I happen to win the SVS contest tho, then she won't have a choice. Maybe she'll put a nice vase on it or something. The PS1000 already doubles as a sidetable. BTW, the wife is always complaining about the sub. She actually prefers movies with it turned off. I figure a less boomy more musical sub might please her.

Anyway, I have a $550 limit for this upgrade.

This sub will be mated to B&W CDM7 Se's main, cdmc se center and Rock Solids(pre B&W LM1's) for surrounds. I'm using a Denon 2801 as a preamp(I'm on the list for the Outlaw 950)and a Sherbourn 5/1500a amp.

So, I guess my question is this, does anybody have experience with the Velodyne fsx12? Is the SVS that much better?

I was also considering the HSU VTF2, and the lower end Velodyne CHT series. I kind of feel getting the CHT sub will be more of a sideways move then an upgrade.

Any other suggestions?

I would love to hear the SVS sub in action. Does anybody in Monmouth county NJ currently use one?

2. GaryMil

Hello!! Anybody home????

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I don't have any experience with the subs you are considering. I have the Paradigm PW-2200. It is not boomy at all. However, it is about $200 over your budget.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Hi Gary.
    You said:
    "If I happen to win the SVS contest tho, then she won't have a choice. Maybe she'll put a nice vase on it or something."
    That might not be a great idea being that that's where the ports vent.
    Some ladies actually like the look of the SVS's. My wife does.(Or so she claims) She thinks they sound great too.
    She doesn't even know what they are, but keeps saying "Sound system sounds great now, whatever you did...."
    Good luck to you.[​IMG]

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Gary,

Can't put anything on the SVS. Port on top. The PS series I believe is bandpass so yes, it's very boomy. Might I suggest the Adire Audio Rava(If you don't win the SVS). It has a beautiful veneer finish and is a sealed design excellent for a tight non-boomy response. Is excellent for music and HT. Your wife can even put something on top of it.

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

My SVS 20-39CS is in a corner behind the front right speaker, you dont even notice it is there. This is also the best place for it sound wise. Maybe you can do something like that Gary.

7. GaryMil

Juan,

I might have room behind the speakers. I'm going to look into that.

Jeff,

I'm also going to check out the Adire Audio Rava.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

8. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 20-39PC in Morristown if you ever want to audition. Not exactly Monmouth county, but maybe reachable. My room acoustics aren't the best, so it's not necessarily a great evaluator for musicality, but it still puts on a good show. [​IMG]

9. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Gary: I have the CHT-15 I took a PS-1000 home TOO boomy like you say. I also took a pw-2200 home VERY close but the CHT-15 won, probably because it's a 15", although I hear that can be bad.

I haven't heard the SVS but I can't see how it could BLOW away those subs, the CHT-15 is very tight and shakes the room when needed, you just feel a waf of energy very cool.

Although it could be tighter on music (is when I set the switch on the back from movies to music) but hey I use it mostly for movies so I don't care. :)

10. GaryMil

Anybody try a Velodyne FSX12 MKII?

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

My ct 150 does well for me.I can feel it as much as I here it.The 15" will do this and with 750 watts on call it can rise to most expectations.I have not bottomed out mine as of yet.I use it strictly for HT. though.If I turn mine up to 4 with +4db on receiver it shakes the room."Good size room".Some this would apeal to some it would not.I like to have the choice.I know there are better subs but for 450-500 this is not a bad choice in my opinion.[​IMG]