Sub too big for a room?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Van Hulle, May 9, 2003.

1. Greg Van Hulle

Greg Van Hulle Auditioning

I have a 15'' Tempest[​IMG] and I was wondering if it is too big for a room that is like est. 10'x9'? Would I get better sound if I would've went with a smaller sub????? It seems like I'm not getting the performance from the sub than I expected. Could It be that I have it packed in a corner with stuff crowded around it??????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grand Master Homie G Funk [​IMG]

2. Frank Mowry

Frank Mowry Stunt Coordinator

I'd move this over to the DIY forum (or at least post it there).

Frank

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Only if you can't fit the room around it [​IMG]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

There's no such thing as a sub being "too big for a room" unless it won't physically fit in the room. If properly placed and calibrated it should sound like any other sub with the same alignment. The difference is, you'll just have more headroom with the Tempest than with something smaller.

5. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Stunt Coordinator

I originally designed a low Qtc (6.5 cubic foot tube filled with 8 lbs. polyester stuffing) sealed Tempest subwoofer for a 13' x 12' bedroom. It sounded fine although that use was a waste of displacement. I later moved the subwoofer to an 800 square foot living room where it gets some exercise.

In a room your size it is possible to get good performance from one 12" Shiva driver in a two cubic foot sealed enclosure.

6. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I agree with Brian, there is not such a thing as a too big subwoofer. It is always better to have headroom than to cry because our sub can't handle certain situations.

7. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the moral majority. My 5.1 setup is in a room
    18'x 18', I use a pair of AR1's for my left/right front channels. Each tower houses a 15" 500 watt Bob Carver Sunfire subwoofer.

Superfluous?, yes and no. Yes beacause I do not "require" the low frequency girth that the AR1's provide at that room size. No because I set the subwoofer volume in each tower at a level which reflects the room size. When the system is in a larger room I will adjust the volume level accordingly. In conclusion, just because you have more than you need doesn't mean you have to use all that you have.

P.S.-I'm madly in love with my AR1's...am I weird?
    [​IMG]

8. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

what are you not happy with? Have you played with placement, matched the level w/spl meter etc..?

9. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

I should add that I had mine about half way along the wall for a while, I didn't care for the sound...kind of lumpy, and wierd sounding, I played wiht the placement and it sounds sweet.