sub thumpy, adjustment help please?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave-Z, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Have a new Velodyne sub(cht-12"), and am struggling to properly calibrate it with my system.

Currently, I'm getting the issue where it frequently puts out a thumpy sound, like someone tapping a microphone.

What might you suggest to smooth out the performance?

I've tried many things: bringing my fronts back to large and dropping the crossover to 40Hz. Adjusting the cross through the 80 to 40 Hz range.

I seem to avoid it when I have the fronts set to small, and the cross to 80Hz, but then I seem to have a large gap in my low bass range.

I just calibrated my speakers with an SPL, and have the AVIA dvd ordered, but in the meantime, it's a bit frustrating.

Current setup is a pair of PSB Stratus Silveri's, (35hz-21,000hz), with Athena ASB1's for surrounds, (C7 center on order) no center for now. Denon avr-1700 driving the system.

If you've perhaps encountered this issue yourself and figured out a process to fix it, or just happen to know what I'm going through and can lend a helping hand, I'd be truly grateful!

2. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

hi
    i had also that kind of problem with sub (cht-8) i did all the calibration but still no improvement.then i try to change position or placement (not once many times just have patience) then finally i suceed. [​IMG]

3. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

What is the crossover on your sub set to? It should be as high as it will go, then with your fronts on small and your receiver handling the bass management, you shouldn't have a hole in your bass response(not to say it will be perfectly flat, but should be ok). Typical crossover for small speaker settings is around 80Hz, so your mains should be more than adequate. Your sub should handle things below that.

4. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

More than likely it's your room, as different placement can cause wave cancellations at different frequencies, depending on the dimensions of your room. Try placing the speakersand subwoofer in various different locations (even a few inches can sometimes make a difference). I agree that as a strting point, setting the receiver's Xover to 80Hz and all speakers to 'small' (with the sub's Xover bypassed) is a good starting point.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I got an SVS PB2+ 6 months ago. After opening it and calibrating it it was great for movies but I was somewhat dissapointed in music. Alot of thumps instead of like a true bass drum beat. I wound up changing directions of the sub so that the tubes fired against a corner wall and of course the woofers are down firing and wiola.... It was pure ear candy. I did not know location, location, location, makes such a difference.....