Sub that competes with SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bergan Peters, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible to build a Sonosub which is comparable to the SVS 16-46? I haven't seen a DIY driver which goes that low.

2. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

Shiva in a 150 liter encloser tuned to 16 hz I have modeled this design in LSP cad and it looks sweet. I think a shiva actually has a bigger XMAX so it might actually be better than the SVS 16-46.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My sonosub will get down there with relative ease...its tuned to 18hz but it would be easy enough to extend that a little deeper if I wanted to give up a little SPL higher up. Either way there's nothing magical about the SVS subs...they are just well designed and well built subs using a decent driver.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'm sure my Tempest Sonosub would easily beat out a single 16-46CS (as would any other Tempest sonosub tuned to 16-18hz). I would think a fairer comparision would be dual 16-46CS subs.

I don't quite understand the price differences between the SVS models. From my understanding the 16-46, 20-39 and 25-31 are identical except for the height of their tubes and the length of their ports. The cost difference between manufacturing the different port lengths and tube lengths can't be as much as the difference in their selling prices.

5. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

http://www.blueprintdrivers.com/1803spec.html
    Did some research, feel that is the most powerful driver you can get at any $$ to be powered by ONE 1000 watt Samson amp. Anyone disagree? The issue I have is that it lists it's output at 92db, that would be trumped by a few Subs, is that at a certain level or what? I want bass that is going to shatter shit and make the neighbors heads explode A LA Scanners. I want the cops called on me, and I dont think 92db is going to reach through concrete walls, am I wrong?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bergan,

Several of us have the Blueprint 1803 but just haven't gotten around to building the enclosures yet. I'm probably going with 4-5ft^3 sealed with low end boost to get flat response.

Jack Gilvey has played with this in a 14ft^3 ported enclosure tuned pretty low (don't remember exactly where but below 20Hz) and it will definitely "break shit." I get 117dB with 18Hz tuning from 17Hz and up anechoic.

Brian

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Before you embark on your shit-scattering project, you might want to look into what the specs mean, it will help your design. 92db is the efficiency rating, not its "SPL limit". And the Fs of a driver is not "how low it will play", that's determined by the alignment, the room, and competent execution.

The 1803 is certainly the best value I can think of in terms of displacement for the dollar, and I'm not aware of a single driver that would significantly outperform it (that's why I bought one). I hesitate to call anything "the most powerful at any price", though, as I don't know everything about all drivers.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    One thing to mention is that these extreme excursion drivers (1803, HE15, etc.) tend to require more power (i.e. greater amp expense) as well as EQ at the higher frequencies (due to an inductance hump). Not raining on anyones parade, just be aware that these are the tradeoffs...