What's new

Sub Suggestions: $600-800 (1 Viewer)

EdReed

Auditioning
I'm looking to upgrade my CSW Base Cube 8. I have powered subs in my fronts(Infinity IL 5o)but I plan to operate those on line output.
Music use=30% and HT=70%.

I luv the lfe on movie soundtracts and really want to shake the house.

Budget is 600-800, and the wife prefers the lower end of the range.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
SVS 25-31 PCi. $549.00 + nominal shipping. Your wife will be happy with the price and you'll be happy with the sound.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Why not the 25-31PC+. Or if you can go a few bucks over $800 the 20-39PC+.

Also if you have some tools seriously consider DIY. $400-$600 can go a long way building your own.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ed: you should know that there were two guys who used to help people build their own subs. They got so many requests from people if they would just sell their subs that they started a small company: SVS.
The SVS is an outgrowth of DIY. While you could create a similar sub (assuming you had the tools), the parts would run you about $100-$150 cheaper than simply buying a SVS. (I tried pricing out a sub with similar specs to an SVS from www.diysubwoofers.com). The SVS subs are very well respected. One of the big advantages of SVS is that the owners/designers are members of HTF. We have watched them grow, add models, solve problems over the last few years. They will take care of you.
Another brand in the $500 price range is HSU. This is a internet-only company as well, and Dr. HSU is a fixture at speaker shows. Even the "sub humans" from SVS praise the HSU subs. (Thats another reason Tom & Ron from SVS have my respect: they dont negative-sell against other repuitable companies.)
I have DefTech 2000TL towers with 500 watt subs in each speaker. When I added a SVS sub, the sound levels were impressive, but .. rough. When I turned off the woofers in my towers and the sound smoothed out, but with little apparent volume loss, I began to be impressed. The ability to place the external SVS in a optimal position also helped the SVS out-perform the DefTech woofers.
The only drawback to the SVS subs is: size. They are a bit on the large side. (You do need size to move lots of air at low frequencies.) Other subs perform "tricks" to try and produce low sounds with smaller drivers and enclosures, but there is usually a trade-off in needing more power, more complex circuitry (like servo-controlled drivers), and less-linear response. The SVS subs have a very smooth response by design.
Hope this helps.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
25-31PC+

or if wife vetoes because of looks...

Hsu VTF-3

You'll be a happy camper.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I always like how people just keep adding more and more to someone's budget ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The SVS is an outgrowth of DIY. While you could create a similar sub (assuming you had the tools), the parts would run you about $100-$150 cheaper than simply buying a SVS. (I tried pricing out a sub with similar specs to an SVS from www.diysubwoofers.com). The SVS subs are very well respected. One of the big advantages of SVS is that the owners/designers are members of HTF. We have watched them grow, add models, solve problems over the last few years. They will take care of you.
Regarding the purchase of an SVS, yes, you could save $100 - $150 by making your own. However, you would forfeit:
1) The special tubing that they use and would have to utilize Sonotube. Sonotube isn't a bad thing, but I like the idea of the tubing SVS is using - because it has been a bit more perfected through the thousands of subwoofers that they have sold. :)
2) The warranty.
- 45 days to return the sub: When building your own, try returning the cut MDF, cables, paint, fabric, etc. - this would be an impossible service.
- 3-year warranty: Most of your components that you utilized would not have this type of warranty. Many would provide you with a 1-year warranty. Plus, if your 320 watt amp dies 2 years from now, SVS will probably only be stocking amps of higher wattage. It would be nice to get an amp of higher capacity - if your current one were to fail. :)
Building it yourself would entail:
1) The tools: Fortunately, for someone like me, I have collected a great assortment of tools over the past 18 years. However, someone just starting out, would need to make an investment into the tools. :frowning:
2) The mess: Whenever I cut MDF, my garage & driveway get a messy coating of dust all over everything. Yuck! :frowning:
Buying a pre-built sub would also mean:
1) You would forfeit the experience of building a great sub. A sub is probably one of the easiest home theater projects to do. Free software is available for you to make the necessary calculations for your sub. Building it would be a great exercise to test and strengthen your abilities in working with tools and various paint finishes. This part of the process could be priceless because of all the pride you would have in your work. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I always like how people just keep adding more and more to someone's budget
Matt, Unfortunately, this always happens. People are always willing to offer advice to purchase the next product up the food chain (at an additional cost) rather than work within the constraints that the original poster of this thread asked us to stay within.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Want to comment a bit on what Wayne has said.

Savings- If you have to buy tools, agree savings go completely out the window. If you don't though, would be more than $100-$150. Something very close to the PCi could be built for less than $400 (and the cost difference between making one similar to the 25-31 or 16-46 would be essentially zero to the builder). Also the higher up the performance ladder you go with DIY the larger the savings become. For $500 you can build something that would compete with the Ultra (granted it will be almost twice the size).

I agree completely on your tube comments. SVS tubing is better but nothing wrong with sonotube (the very first SVSubs where made with sonotube I believe).

Adire and PE offer 3year warranties on all their stuff you'd use for sub building (some of PE's is 5 years I think). Both have decent return policies too. Just don't put a finish on the enclosure until you are sure you are happy with the result. And MDF is dirt cheap. Same will happen with amps sold buy others.

And for those considering DIY, don't under estimate Wayne's last point. Even if you don't like wood working that much, the pride you'll have knowing you built that thing that sounds so great can make the effort worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks