What's new

Sub suggestions, 2 cubic ft., mostly music (1 Viewer)

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
I think sealed.

Suggestions for driver/amp? Trying to keep costs down low... like maybe $300

This is for my dad- I suggested a PE250 amp and 12" titanic mkii :) since I have these

Jonathan T

Second Unit
I'd say AV-12 or a DVC 12 for the driver. The DVC is cheeper and is a great driver, but I'd also recomend going up to a 2.5 cf box with that driver. The AV-12 has much more excursion, but isn't as sensative. Sound quality with be great with both drivers. O, also, check out the Rythmik Audio Amp www.rythmikaudio.com amp. It puts out 380 watts into 4 ohms and has a bunch of goddies that you may find useful in tayloring the sound of your music to fit your tastes. If you go with the AV-12, it will probably come out closer to 400 than 300. I think the driver sells for 165 or something close to that.

Joey_N

Agent
Not sure if you're building your own enclosure or not. You may want to check out the EZSUB14 that was reviewed by fellow HTFer Andrew Pratt (uses a Shiva).

A little over $300 shipped, & can be built w/o virtually any tools.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
The Dayton DVC 12" is definitely a good low cost driver but I'd much rather have the 12" Titanic MKII. More throw, higher sensitivity, better overall build quality and MUCH better suited for small enclosures.

The preorder price for the AV12 makes it attractive as well. If you're in no rush then that is probably a better way to go. If you don't want to wait a month or more then the Titanic should suit you just fine.

If you want to save even more money though, the Blueprint 1202 is a great buy at $97 from Audio Liquidators.

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Yes, I should have mentioned that he wants to build his own enclosure... about 2.5 ft^3 before adding driver and plate amp should be close to what you guys are suggesting. Also, I think the Rhythmic amp is too expensive and he would rather not wait a month for the AV-12, although it looks like a great driver.

So, either the Dayton DVC or Titanic MKII...I think the Titanic MKII is probably a better choice ?

What about stuffing with polyfill?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've used the Dayton 12" DVC in just over 1 ft^3 stuffed. It's very well suited for that size or larger. Even better would be the AV12...which I use in the same box now.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
You could pick up the dayton dvc on ebay for a little bit cheaper. About ~$90 or so new. Try to get on the partsexpress mailing list. They always have sales on these items.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks