Sub sugestion and performance for a small room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marcelo T, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

I have a very small room, around 3x3x2.5 meters. I own a Velodyne CT-100 sub, and, although it is pretty good, I’m looking for more bass. I made a search in the forum and the consensus seems to be the SVS 20-39PC or the Paradigm PW2200. The first problem is that I live in Brazil, which unfortunately SVS is not sent to yet (yes, I asked), and even if it was, it would cost around 749.00*1.60(import tax)+300(estimated shipping)=1498 U$. Therefore, I’m stuck with the paradigm, which can cost here around 1200 U$. The second problem is that I can’t test the 2200 without ordering, so:
    1.What kind of performance gain I can get for the 2200 in my room?
    2.Would the SVS put significantly better numbers?
    3.Does anyone have the CT100 performance data?
    Thank’s!

2. Marcelo T

UP!

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I don't think there's going to be a day/night difference between the 20-39PC and the PW2200. The SVS might have a little more clean output capability in the very low freqs...but overall it's pretty close.

The ct100 isn't in the same league. The CT150 would be a little closer, but still not up to the standards the other two woofs are setting. Onecall has the SPL1200 refurbed for $749...that would be a good choice too. What about the HSU VTF-2...that's a good woof at a great price?

TV

4. Marcelo T

Thanx Tom, but here in Brazil our choices are limited [​IMG]. I´ll probably go with the Paradigm, since the others are not avaliable here.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

That's an excellent choice.
    Be sure to take time to optimize it's placement/calibration once you add it to your system. If you have questions about that, just fire me an email at
    [email protected]
    TV

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

TV,

Do I have this straight ? You recommended a competor's product for a particular situation AND offered free private setup support ? You guys are unreal.

7. Marcelo T

Unreal indeed !![​IMG]

8. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Yes, Tom and Ron are pretty amazing (not to be brownnosing or anything [​IMG]). But the fact is, who else would recommend a competitor's product then offer free tech support to get that product running properly? You guys really are the best. [​IMG]