What's new

sub speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I have heard of many ways to do this. Does the sub go inbetween the mains, outside the mains, or on the side of the viewing area.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
One thing to try is to place the sub in the listening position and walk around the room while a low frequency test tone is playing. As you walk around the room, try and listen to where the bass response sounds the best. When you feel that you've found the spot, you should place the sub there.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I like that dwayne. Will have to try that with my tempest when it's finished.

I found that my sub sounded best close to the front left corner or front wall.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
The room resonant modes are excited by the subwoofer, generating peaks and nulls in the frequency response in the < 250-300 Hz area. Ideally, you'd like to have the flattest possible response, but that's no easy achievement, since you have to understand how the modes build up in the room and try to avoid sitting or placing the speaker in a null, for example.

IMHO, the quickest alternative is to put the sub in one of the front corners, where the coupling between sub and room is maximum, then get a parametric equalizer such as a BFD 1124P for $129 and tame the peaks. There are many threads here on how to do this. Search for "BFD".

Alternatively, moving the sub around certainly makes a difference, and combining this with the BFD is the best option IMO, but this will require some study of room modes and also probably a software that can give you the frequency response of the room, such as ETF5.

Tom Beski

Agent
What is the general definition for the "Front Corner" Of The Room??

How close to the Front Wall and Side Wall would be considered the Front Corner?

Just opened my SVS 25-31PCi last night, and since the sub is a round cylinder, can it go as close as 3" to each wall, or is that "Too Close" to the corner??

What would be the farthest placement away from the corner to still get the corner's sound benefits??

Thanks,

Tom

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Tod - I started initially placing my SVS 25-31PCi within 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" from the front and right side wall.
After a week or so, I moved it out to its present location. 5" x 5-1/2" from the front wall & the right side wall respectively.
This placement, in my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room garnered the smoothest overall response coupled with the usual sub-sonic floor, air, wall, window impact, encoded in the DVDs!!! :D
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks