What's new

Sub-sonic Filter question (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm powering my 122L Sealed Tempest sub with an old H/K integrated amp. The amp as a sub-sonic filter switch. Is there any advantage to running it with the filter engaged? I don't have a turntable hooked up to it, but I'm not sure the difference between a sub-sonic and "rumble" filter.

Thanks!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
One and the same. With a sealed sub, it probably won't matter too much either way (engaged or not).

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Actually it may depend on what the filter on the H/K was intended for.

If it is for phono recordings, then it may be both very steep, and not too low (Say 20Hz or so). This is to prevent slightly warped records from generating very low frequencies (Due to the RPM of the player). Often these filters are at around 17Hz or so and are very steep (6th order).

I suggest you find out what the subsonic filter is doing, if at all possible. I have a test method you could use, but it'd be better to try and look in the manual and/or ask H/K and see if they can help.

I guess if you can't hear a difference when it is applied or not applied, then don't worry about it - just leave it off. A sealed sub is less prone to massive cone excursions below resonance, unlike a vented sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks