What's new

sub setup (1 Viewer)

Ramon A

Agent
I have an MTX sub about 4 yrs old I want to know proper set up.
it has a hi output and a regular input area with a cross over dial with range of 40Hz to 150Hz and a front volume control.
I have hooked up both ways but I am always messing with the bass for proper bass control any help would be appreciated.
ps I do have hi end speakers but am running a cheap receiver.
which may be why I always have to adjust bass.

Ramon A

Agent
model un known
10" driver dual cone
receiver run to high pass, crossover set at 150Hz, front volume on low
speakers R/L front klipch RF5s center is RC35 and surrounds are RS25s bipole/dipole
and I only have to adjust bass once every time a new disc is watched not every 20 minutes but some times it needs to be done during my viewing when I would rather be viewing than tweaking. and that is usually during the fist action seen

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick question Ramon—why do you need to keep adjusting the subwoorer?

What are the characteristics that cause you to make continual changes? This ought not to be (obviously).

Ramon A

Agent
depending on the dvd some times be bass will be so overwhelming that during scenes with minimal base my whole room vibrates and humms so i lower bass through receiver till bass comes down to a normal level the every thing is fine. explosions rumble the sofa and i feel it in my chest and all is good.
but the next movie I watch I may need to adjust in the other direction till I get enough bass.
and the annoying thing is I generally won't know till just before or during the first action seen then I have to grab the remote and mess with the bass volume

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like it's just the differences between DVDs. I have found that some are quiet and some loud. I hate when I finish a quiet one and pop in a real loud one and forget to adjust the volume accordingly, and usually it's that dang MGM lion intro right after disc loading that scares the crap outta me.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Mike in suggesting that you calibrate your system so that you know that you are getting the proper balance from each speaker. Of course you can then adjust to your personal preferences, but you will have a known base from which to begin adjusting.

I don’t think that I have ever adjusted the volume on my sub, except when I occasionally check my calibration. Certainly not in the middle of a movie.

I don’t know anything about your sub, but I expect that Mike may be right in his suspicions here as well.

Get an VE or AVIA disk and calibrate with a SPL meter. Or at least use your receiver’s test tones with the SPL meter to calibrate.

I’ll bet that if you run the sweeps with the AVIA disk you will be enlightened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks