What's new

sub setup (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have a question about setting up my sub properly. I have the Sony WM40 sub and the Kenwood 6070 receiver. What is the proper way to set up a sub? I have a SPL meter. Are you suppose to setup the sub in the receiver and then make adjustments on the sub(level input) or the other way around? I have all my other speakers setup properly and want to have the sub match. Thanks in advance.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
As far as on-screen display/remote control settings, if your DVD player has a decoder, (if it has 5.1 Outputs it has a internal decoder) get into Audio Setup and verify the sub icon is set to LARGE, and the satelites to the small icons. This activates the bass management. Verify that the sub is at least set to 0dB, as you adjust it with a SPL meter you can go to 6dB on most DVD player settings. If you have a pre/pro, or a receiver do the same as directed above. So,
1) verify the sub icon is large
2) verify dB output
3) calibrate audio: If you have Video Essential DVD, or Avia, or the new THX demo DVD you can do the sound level meter adjustment. Set all speakers to 70dB. You can use the sub volume control on the sub at this point. THX crosses the sub at 80Hz, Sony 100Hz, make your crossover point adjustment at this now.
4)About subs and sub placement, a general rule is to use twice as many as you think you need. The mentality of dual sub cabinets is that if placed asymmetrically, (lack of balance) it yeilds a smooter bass response, reduces standing waves and makes a cleaner splice with the satelites. Subs should not be placed exactly between the main speakers. Subs should idealy be placed in the front half of the room. The key is experimentation.
5) If time permits use a real-time analizer, and parametric EQ to get the bass even more articulate.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Your Kewood RECEIVER has LARGE/SMALL settings for your speakers. It may also have a SUBWOOFER Yes/No setting. (The subwoofer is never has a LARGE/SMALL setting).

Most people set all 5 speakers to SMALL, and subwoofer to YES. This tells the receiver to send all sounds below about 80 hz to the sub. Yes, this includes the ".1" channel and all low frequency sounds from the SMALL speakers.

Generally you adjust your main speakers to produce 75 db with a test tone, then make the center & rears match.

Turn the intensity/volume knob on the sub to about 75% of it's max. Now you use the adjustment on your Kenwood to raise/lower the subwoofer volume.

If you use Video Essentials - make the sub produce 85 db.

If you use Avia or a THX disk - make the sub produce 80 db.

Note: Most people like a little extra umph so feel free to increase this.

Hope this helps.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, no apologies that's what we are here to learn, offer help and get advice.
"(The subwoofer is never has a LARGE/SMALL setting)."

What I meant was in MY Sony DVD player (possibly not his Kewood receiver). I can see the sub icon change in Audio Setup 2 from a LARGE icon, or a SMALL, grayed-out icon (meaning it turns it off).

But good eye, you did catch me with the 75dB, verses 70dB SPL meter setting.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Thanks Bob! Just one question...

Generally you adjust your main speakers to produce 75 db with a test tone, then make the center & rears match.
What do you mean by matching the center and the rears? I have them all set to 75db using a SPL meter. Am I missing something?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean by matching the center and the rears? I have them all set to 75db
No you are fine.

I was talking about using the main volume control to get 75 db from the L/R speakers, then using the setup menu to tweek the center and rears to match.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Turn the intensity/volume knob on the sub to about 75% of it's max. Now you use the adjustment on your Kenwood to raise/lower the subwoofer volume.
When I do this I can't get the sub to read 75db or even 80db, it's alot higher. Even when I take the sub setting on the Kenwood down to -10 it's still reading too high.

I found that if I set the intensity/volume knob on the sub to about half of it's max I can setup the sub to read 80db and -6 on my receiver. I'm guessing that this is right. Going to mess with it a little more this weekend.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
When I do this I can't get the sub to read 75db or even 80db, it's alot higher
Then of course turn down the intensity knob to 50% of it's travel if you need to.

Here is the minor issue:

If your receiver has a LFE adjustment that goes from -10 to 0, then you want to keep it around -7 or -6. Usually this means the volume/intensity knob on the sub is around 75%.

There is a LARGE amount of distortion that comes out of the LFE port. The higher you set the LFE output on the receiver, the higher the distortion.

So you want to keep your receiver settings down low, and use the knob on the sub to adjust the levels. But it's usually easier to do this with the receiver remote so - sub knob up to 75% then adjust downward with the LFE output level.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Wow Bob!, I took your advice about the sub since I don't have an SPL meter yet. I lowered the sub volume to -6 on the receiver and set the volume on the sub to around 75% and my sub sounds SO much better now, thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
An SPL meter is a very handy tool as most human hearing is not good at volume across all frequency ranges. It really helps to assure you that you have compensated for YOUR seating distances and equipment.

But once you've calibrated, nobody is going to laugh at you if you bump the subwoofer a bit, or raise the center volume a bit. It's your system so season to taste.

GregBe

Second Unit
Great Info Bob,

It makes perfect sense when you talk about distortion and lowering the Subwoofer level on the receiver and raising the level on the sub itself. On my Onkyo 600 receiver I can set the sub-level from -12 to +12. What would you recommend for optimal setting on the receiver?
Also, I often watch movies late at night at low volume levels when others are sleeping. I have read that if you set the receiver level too low, the sub will not activate at low volumes. Is this true?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks