Sub Settings

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Huber, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I have large, studio JBL floor-standing 12s. I'd like to set them to LARGE... But when I listen to music, the sub doesn't kick on with most songs (not enough freguency being pushed to it).

Is there a way to get the sub to kick on with music while having the Sub set to LARGE?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I believe both Onkyo and Yamaha receivers have this feature, not sure about others. With them set to large, you don't WANT the sub to come on, because they will overlap, most likely creating large peaks.

3. John S

John S Producer

What pre/pro or AVR are you using?

Situations like this is where more robust bass management shines. Most people I know that really want to use their sub with music and have large fronts, hook the sub via the speaker level connections. To bad there isn't a good way to switch back and forth, speaker level to line level, line level back to speaker level.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Does your receiver have the option of LFE+MAIN. That setting will usually send bass to the sub and main speakers. But that can cause an overlap in bass and give you unexpected results.

5. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Pioneer VSX-811S

6. John S

John S Producer

Fairly limited basic bass management on that one if I remember correctly. Does it allow for the xover point to be moved lower? I never set mains to large, instead I try to set the xover at 60hz or even lower if it is an option.

Post back if you come up with a solution.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I assume you mean "having the mains set to LARGE", so my simple answer is - set the mains to SMALL. Simple as that and no matter how big your mains are, they are not able to handle low bass as well as your sub, so why ask them to do it? (unless you think setting them to SMALL is pitiful and weak - in that case, see a shrink [​IMG] ).

8. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

It allows for 150hz or 100hz settings... Thats all. It's on 100hz now...

9. John S

John S Producer

Dang 100hz, that is a bummer.... No good solution for you here...

10. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Why is 100Hz so crappy as far as crossover with a reciever? I've heard everyone say it, but just wondering...

11. John S

John S Producer

It is not crappy, just limited...

With a weak AVR and/or main speakers, you have to set it this high and even higher often.

Setting your sub up higher than 80hz causes the bass to become directional, the higher it is the more directional it becomes and your not supposed to be able to tell what direction your sub is comming from at all.

12. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Well, I'll keep this under consideration for my next AVR upgrade. This and PLIIx...