What's new

sub settings? help (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Velodyne 10" sub.
The guys who sold it to me told me to NOT to use the x-over at all on the sub.
They said the only knob i should be touching is the volume knob.
So the switch for "phase and internal x-over", i put it on "phase" and set it to "0".
Setting this to "phase"....then the "high pass crossover" and the "low pass crossover" doesn't work on the sub.

So now i want the EXPERTS opinion's on what i should do :)

I also have a Kardon 325 receiver and for my front speakers i have the JBL N38 floor standing.
( also i should i be setting my N38's as LARGE or SMALL" with this sub?)

Thanks all.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Your receiver is doing the high-pass x-over so your dealer is correct about not using it on your sub. The phase switch should normally be set to wherever it gives the best bass response when your sub is in its final location - every room is potentially different. The volume control should be used to calibrate the sub to the rest of your system. Try starting off at mid-level. You will also have a sub level setting in your receiver, so you have 2 settings to play with. Generally, don't set the receiver level higher than 0 db - use the sub volume instead if you need a louder level.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Ricks advice is right on. As for the small and large issue, I'd set all speakers to small and let the subwoofer handle the bass. This free's up your mains and amplifier and let's them play a little cleaner. It's also much easier to get smooth bass response from one speaker than trying to do it with your 5 speakers plus a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks