What's new

Sub settings..exactly how to calibrate? (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Rotel RSP-1066 and the crossover is set at 80hz. Since I've owned my sub, I've set the subwoofer frequency cutoff at 80hz on the back of the sub. I've since learned that it may be better to set the subwoofer's frequency cutoff on the back of the sub to 150hz (maximum setting) because I'm letting the rotel perform the 80hz cutoff.

Since I've done this, it appears to sound better, however I still need to do more listening. Which way is correct?

Thanks for the info!!!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

The "correct" setting is as you have it now.

1) The crossover on the back of the subwoofer should be set to the highest point (150 Hz in your example.)

- and

2) Letting the Rotel handle the crossover @ 80 Hz.

I'm not surprised that it sounds better after you made the changes. While the back of the sub might indicate 80 Hz, it really isn't that accurate -- but, rather, just a gauge. It could have actually been lower than 80 Hz (e.g. 70 Hz) which meant that you probably had a "hole" in your sound because your satellite speakers were rolling off the bass @ 80 Hz, but the subwoofer was handling bass @ 70 Hz and below.

It's not fact that it was 70 Hz. However, for my example, I used 70 Hz. It could have been even lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks