What's new

sub settings and some x-over settings.... (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I have:
Harman 325
JBL N38 Tower speakers
JBL N 26's and the satalite 24's.
Velodyne 10" sub

1. Do i set my sub to "SUB (LFE)" or "SUB LFE + L/R" on my receiver?
Which will sound better?
I have also been told to set all my speakers to "small" even though my tower speakers are pretty big.

2. What do i set my X-over to on my speakers and sub?
Someone told me to set them ALL to 80 HZ. All my speakers are diffrent sizes...not sure if that matters....so i still set them all to 80HZ?
What do i set my Velodyne sub to? 80hz also?

3. I have a choice of "global" or "individial" for my sub...i only want my system for movies....so i'm safe to assume i set it to "global"?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Here is one opinion- others will disagree.

Q1 Sub LFE + L/R. All speakers small. Sure your mains are large, but that is not the question. The question is which unit is best qualified to reproduce 20-80 Hz signals, and the answer is the velo- not even close.

2. Set receiver crossover a little lower than 80 if you can. If 80 is the minimum on the HK, use that. 60 would be perfect. Set the velo crossover as high as it will go or better yet defeated if possible. Your HK preconditions the signal for the sub, and you don't want the sub's circuitry to do anything to it.

3) I would just use global to keep it simple. If your receiver lets you cross the center and rears at different levels, you might want to set up a frequency a little higher for them- but in the end, it matters little since a properly engineered surround mix has very little deep base in the center or rears anyway.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,
I only have the:
"SUB (LFE)" or "SUB LFE + L/R" options when the front speakers are set to LARGE.
So since there set to small, it just says "GLOBAL".

also...i just set my 5 speakers to 60HZ and you told me to set my sub as high as it will go...so the sub is at 200HZ.

The speakers go from 40HZ to 200 and so does the sub settings on my Kardon receiver.

Any other opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks