Sub selection based on room size and best placement?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Wade, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

What's the best way to determine what size sub I'll need for our family room. The overall dimensions of this room are 30'-4" long x 19'-3" deep x 9' tall. The TV niche is on the long wall and is 14'-3" long x 2' deep x 8' tall and is off centered on the wall by 3'-6'. The back of the room is open to the kitchen and the side is open to the stairway going upstairs.

I have a choice of placement inside the niche, at either end, or in the short wall (4'-6') corner between the niche and stairway. The niche is one big opening now but later we may put in a custom entertainment center. The location outside of the niche would allow for a deeper sub but it could get blocked by a chair or something later. Not sure if that would be a problem or not.

I don't know if I described the room good enough, but that's the best I could do without a picture. Any suggestions as to a sub make and size would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wade

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Wade,

More important than the particular shape of the room is how many cubic feet the room is (including rooms for which there are large openenings from your listening room). Also, how loud do you listen to material (reference, 10 below reference, 30 below reference...)? What is that material (action movies, pipe organ music, any other material that might be particularly hard on a sub)? And, of course, what is your budget?

-Robb

3. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

Robb,

I was able to put together this layout to show the area I have to work with. The total square footage for the family room and kitchen is approximately 920 sq.ft. That adds up to a lot of volume with 9' ceilings. Since this is a new home I haven't had a chance to set anything up to know how loud I'll like it. I probably will not be at reference levels though.

For the most part my wife and I watch action and sci-fi movies the most. Comedies get a lot of play as well. Music is mostly jazz followed by rock. The wife likes country.

I would say my budget is $1500 max.

Thanks,
    Wade

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Wow, that's a big room!

Personally, I'd go with a PB2-Plus for about 1,300 delivered for that size a room. I'm sure there's also some offerings from Hsu or Velodyne (or one of the other big players in the subwoofer market) also worth looking at. Whatever you get, make sure it's going to fill a room of that size. As far as placement, only experimentation will tell you for certain, but I'd guess from your drawing the option at the bottom will work best. If you sent this drawing to SVS, they would better tell you what would work.

-Robb