1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub runs hot, help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barton Lynch, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch Stunt Coordinator

Barton Lynch
    My sub is a JBL PSW-1000 and it sounds and performs very good except that it runs hot after a while of loud music. But the worst part is that it shuts itself down when it gets really hot, it only happens with CDs, I can play two movies straight and nothing happens. How can I cool it down or keep it cool without lowering the volume? The sub's level is at 1/3 its maximum and the receiver is at -5dB for the sub level. I like the sub, all I want is to keep it from reaching the point of heat where it shuts off for security. Thanx.
    ------------------
    Barton Lynch
    ...nothing can stop me now

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Ice. [​IMG] (please don't take that seriously!)
    i dont know if lots of people have this type of AC in their house, but our vents in the TV/family room come from the floor. i would just stick it on top of one of the vents, but you'd probably have to come up with something more clever.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

You might be able to add a very inexpensive *personal* fan too. I used to have a big 18" woof that did this too. Man, you could COOK eggs on it after a while. Anyway---I got a little *snake* looking fan and put it right under the amp fins point up *through* them. Worked great...and I think it was like $5 at the local discount store.
    TV

4. Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch Stunt Coordinator

Barton Lynch
    Hmmm... Ice & Fans... Boomy egg pan... Hot summer huh?
    Thanks Guys [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Barton Lynch
    ...nothing can stop me now