Sub Required?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Hoffman, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Mike Hoffman

Mike Hoffman Auditioning

Hello Everyone,

My 2nd post.. a real "New Guy". Just starting to make my first attempt at HT. I am using my Stero speakers for my mains.... (Pioneer CS-99A's 5 way 6 speakers in each box...one 15 inch woofer, one 5 inch mid-range, one 4 inch higher mid-range, one multi-cellular horn type tweeter, and two 1/2 inch super tweeters..100 watts/ 8 ohmns 97dB at 1 meter.... bought 2 Klipsch quintet's for my rears and Klipsch KSC-C1 for my center. My mains have a range of 25Hz - 22,000Hz..... that's pretty low, but I wonder if I will still need a Sub-woofer? I would love any advice. (Using a Kenwood VR-505AV Surround Receiver) While I am asking... is there some kind of guideline for selecting the guage of speaker wire???

Thanks,

Mike

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

For music.. probably not..that is more personal taste than anything..but for HT.. I'd strongly recomend a sub for your system. Movies will totaly come to life with a sub..and you will wonder how you ever lived so long without one.
    Now the decision would be..which one... [​IMG]

3. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Generally, speakers that are moderately sized and are efficient (your speakers are very efficient) do not produce much in the way of deep bass. So I would say that you would definitely benefit from an external sub. SVS, Adire Audio, and Hsu Research offer the best bang for the $$, outside of building your own. . .