Sub Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon W, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Damon W

Damon W Extra

Jan 8, 2002
    I am finally getting around to replacing the sub in my current system because I would like to FEEL the bass more than I am feeling it right now. I would like to stay under $1500 if possible as I will be upgrading the receiver soon as well.

My current setup:

Receiver - Sony STRDA555ES (120w x 5)

Mains - Klipsch Chorus 2 (101db efficiency, horn loaded tweeter & mid, 15" driver, 15" passive)

Center - Klipsch Academy (96db efficiency, horn loaded high, dual 6" drivers)

Rears - Klipsch KG5.2 (96db efficiency, horn loaded high, dual 12" drivers)

Sub - Velodyne F1500R (250watts, 15" driver)

Room dimensions:

13' wide x 24' long x 7.5' high, BUT at 3.5' up the side walls the ceiling angles in on both sides creating a 5' wide ceiling at the top.

Since the klipsch speakers are pretty efficient, I have no problems hitting 120+dbs....but my sub is way underpowered. I hardly ever listen to music on this system, it is almost exclusively for watching DVDs. I have my eye on the SVS dual 25-31CS+ with the Samson S-1000, but wanted to get some opinions before I make up my mind...

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Jun 28, 1999
    First off...Welcome to The Forum. [​IMG]
    Although I recommend the Paradigm Servo 15 over anything else, many here will point you towards the SVS line. I have never heard one, but I understand they are a top-drawer sub. [​IMG]
  3. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Dec 6, 2001
    If you want to approach reference levels, SVS is the way to go. If keeping the subs hidden isn't a requirement then dual CS+ will definitely put a smile on your face.

I purchased a CS-Ultra and absolutely love it. My wife however is unhappy about its size--so I might have to sell it and get something smaller that I can hide behind a chair.