Sub questions; cylinder vs Box, Hsu vs SVS, etc etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Bedell, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Kevin Bedell

Kevin Bedell Auditioning

OK, so I've currently got a 10" JBL subwoofer that I've had for quite some time. I paid $300 for it about 5 years ago, and it has served me well.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Sub as I've got a 4.1 set of Diva's on order. My questions are:

1) Will I see a big difference going to SVS/Hsu? Or will the difference be "well, I guess maybe its better".

2) What is the reason for the difference in design between the cylinder type(PCi) and the Hsu box type. Does one offer better characteristcs over the other, or are they simply different methods of doing the same thing?

3) Lastly SVS vs Hsu. Both have great reviews. Obviously, this forum is based toward SVS. Anyone done any comparisons, or comments? Tom V, don't be shy, feel free to comment here?

Thanks very much.

Kevin

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

1) the louder you like to push the volume(and the larger your room) the more likely you will feel the differences are in the "day/night" arena. It will be somewhat dependent on the source material too. If you listen to CNN all day....you might not notice much difference [​IMG]
    2)Cylinders have an inherent advantage over boxing. To produce a lot of bass...you need to build pressure. To hold the pressure in the most uniform manner(no walls flexing or bowing)...cylinders have the advantage because only the endcaps can flex(in this context). That's why you see all the high pressure liquid gas trucking using cylindrical haulers...or why the air holding tanks on most air compressors is cylindrical Hsu actually has a nice drawing about this on his site. Boxes can work fine...but they generally need more bracing,which means more weight and more cost to achieve the same end result.
    3)both offer great products. I think SVS offers some important performance and aesthetic advantages...but I'm bias of course.
    Look for feedback on each company and I think you'll be hard pressed to find many negative comments about either one.
    TV

3. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Having never heard your JBL sub, I can't make a direct comparison, but I can say that I replaced my 12" Velodyne CT-120 (budget sub) with SVS and the difference is very evident, especially if I need to play it loud. You definitely would not regret going with SVS, not that HSU would disappoint you either.

Personally, for only $50 more I would hands-down go for the 25-31 PCi over the HSU VTF-2, especially since SVS has generously replaced the orginal driver and plate amp with much better units (and the original ones were already top notch). The new 25-31 PCi is actually more the equivalent of the more expensive HSU VTF-3 that has just been developed. The only possible advantage that I can imagine the HSU has is size. If you can fit it, the SVS is an incredible deal. I've been looking for an excuse to buy this sub simply because it is such a bargain, but alas, I really don't need another one.

Also, you can ask SVS to custom tune you 25-31 to 22Hz to give more extension at the sacrifice of a couple max dBs while remaining the same size.

4. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The VTF-2 has a street price more closer to $400-$450 shipped. I don't think the 25-31 PCi is closer to the VTF-3 (especially when it is not even out yet.) According to the mfg, the VTF-3 is on par to their TN1220, with a 16hz extension. Plus in the HO mode, it outperforms the 1220.

Give a call to Dr. Hsu. He'll give you the lowdown on all his subs and which might fit your need w/o all the bias.

5. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

7. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Agent

I can't really give my vote based on experience but I just ordered the same Diva set up as you and it was a little out of my price range but I couldn't pass up a good deal I also ordered the SVS 25-31PCi It should be on its way any day now and it also was out of my price range but the same thing applies .I don't upgrade often so I do the best I can.Last time I upgraded was 26 yrs ago. I still love those old speakers.Hope these new ones give me as many years. I came very close to ordering the HSU VTF-2,but the SVS got my order.The choice is yours.