Sub question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timothy Richard, May 20, 2002.

1. Timothy Richard

Timothy Richard Auditioning

I have a sub that came with the Cerwin-Vega AVS-632 home theater package.
    While I'm waiting for the Avia DVD to arrive to calibrate my speakers, I was playing with the controls on the sub and noticed something weird.
    There is a crossover bypass switch. OUT - if I want to control the crossover frequency on the sub. IN - if I want the receiver to control the frequency.
    With the switch in the OUT position, turing the frequency knob on the sub does nothing to the sound. With the switch in the IN position, turning the frequency changes the sound coming from the sub.
    This seems backwards to me. Maybe I should have gotten the JBL speaker package. [​IMG]
    Any thoughts on what's going on?

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

"OUT - if I want to control the crossover frequency on the sub. IN - if I want the receiver to control the frequency.

With the switch in the OUT position, turing the frequency knob on the sub does nothing to the sound. With the switch in the IN position, turning the frequency changes the sound coming from the sub.

This seems backwards to me."

Timothy, it looks that by your observations the "OUT" and "IN" nomenclatures are correct. But the descriptions are backwards. When the crossover switch is "IN" you would have control of it (at your sub), when "OUT" you do not, which is exactly what you have observed.

Hope this helps a bit.

John

3. Timothy Richard

Timothy Richard Auditioning

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit surprised that the manual would contain the wrong information, not that every manual is always 100% accurate. [​IMG]