Sub question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Vince Antrim, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Vince Antrim

Vince Antrim Agent

Hey all. First, I LOVE the sight. Stumbled upon it one night, and have been hooked. Second, I know a little about what I'm doing, but not enough. Anyhow.... I read a post on here somewhere that said to set all speakers to small, and that would help with the sub sound. That worked awesome, except for now I can only set the sub as sub. I can't designate it to be LFE, or LFE + L and R. I have an HK avr 325. The sub is and old RCA 8 inch, model SP2051AW, which I got for free. Again, the sound is awesome, but not sure what to set the crossover to, or if I even need to worry about using the LFE setting.

Thanks in advance,

Vince

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Setting the speakers to small essentially sets your sub to LFE+L+R(+Surrounds). It will now (basically) send all bass under the crossover point to the sub.

3. Kernel X

Kernel X Extra

All channels set to small and all LFE's will be sent to the subwoofer. If you have a sub with a bypass or LFE connection, use that connection. This way you are using the filter in your receiver and not both. Set the frequency on the sub until you get a nice blend with your main speakers usually the same as your receiver's filter or a little higher. If you don't have the LFE connection on your sub, set the frequency all the way up and adjust the volume until the sound is well integrated. You should keep the subwoofer volume level on your receiver at "0" level and use the volume control on your sub when you calibrate it. If you have to tweak the volume after calibration, use subwoofer level control on the receiver...good luck!