Sub-Question to Vince Mass

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve nn, Feb 5, 2002.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Vince,
    I have been reading very closely what you have been trying to say about sub setup, also I know how to spell bass now.[​IMG]In "setup" when test tone comes up set sub to as high as it will go.On the back of the sub turn level to max and cutoff.Then adjust volume of sub in speaker settings-center-on to sub then adjust sub volume from here.I do not have a meter as of yet but I do plan on getting one soon.If I understand you correctly I will feel quit strange turning my 15" velodyne up to full bore when 2--4 has alot of punch.But I do understand I will be bringing it back down from the receiver though.Well what do you think?Do I have it rite?I will let my pride go and post this now.Thank you for the time I see you take in helping.[​IMG] steve nn

2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Steve, I'm pretty sure you have it right, assuming that Vince recommends what has been commonly recommended regarding sub setup. You may also want to get a test tones disc such as Avia or Video Essentials. In my case, my receiver sub tones are not very accurate and don't give a good indication of the volume level, so i prefer to use a test disc.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Steve,

Yep- you've got it right.

Although- one note- you might find that ALL THE WAY UP on the sub, and ALL THE WAY DOWN on the receiver sub settings are too loud (with your meter and Avia disc the sub signal cannot be set low enough to be properly calibrated). This does happen- and if it does, just lower the volume on the sub.

Granted- the ideal is usually with the sub full on- but if it can't be calibrated that way then you'll have to reduce it at the sub.

-Vince

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thank you Vince and John,
    I just tried it and it worked out fine.I have had it set 3db higher in the past and then set level on the back of the sub.I have two going now.The WM40 sony and the 8" Kenwood.I think considering the cost it dos't sound bad.I'm going to discard one of them when I can use my other one that sits in the den begging to be used.Wife not so happy that I went out and bought another since I bought the WM as a extra with system a month ago. [​IMG]"Forums fault".I have been a victim.I look forward to setting up CT. this way.Thanks for your help.Say---Should I go out and buy a SVS now!?[​IMG] [​IMG] steve nn