Sub question. My house is built on a concrete slab!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Does this cause problems for downfire subs? Like SVS? Because that is the sub I am leaning towards. But someone at my work told me that a concrete slab is not good for downfiring subs, and I should get a front firing and load it against the wall. Is this true?

2. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

My theater room is built in a cocrete block detached garage and has concrete floor with heavy pad and carpet. I personaly have NO issues with this. The bass is clean tight and deep and actualy you can still feel the sub through the concrete. I have a SVS 20-39pc+.

Also IMO a concrete foundation doesnt over excentuat bass like a wood floor and gives a truer impression of a subs performance.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Bass waves are so long, they will not be affected by the discharge orientation of the woofer.

FWIW, I totally prefer concrete over a wooden floor above an open space. The bass is much tighter, without the resonance or boom a flexing floor and the space below can create.

The only caveat with concrete is you will probably need more sub than you think to provide the sensation of powerful bass since the floor will be transmitting little to no appreciable vibration.

And for the sake of everyone involved (I've seen you mercilessly flamed several times now for posting numerous sub/SVS threads that go nowhere fast), get off the mark and buy a sub already.

Regards,

Ed

4. BillG

BillG Agent

My rather small house (~1200 sq ft) is built on a slab. My SVS PCPlus 16-46 arrived one week ago today.

:)

The sound is not muddied at all. Tight and clean. The best part of having a slab floor is that only 5 surfaces will rattle instead of all six! If I had a normal wood floor, I'm afraid everything in the room would be dancing.

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well thanks guys. I think ill be ok. I emailed ron today and I think Im gonna try and go listen to some of the stuff he has. But if I can afford it, a PC-Ultra is the way I want to go.