Sub Q of .647 ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg P, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

I have currently have two subs an SVS 25-31, and an earthquake supernova III. The SVS I know has a Q of around .577, and I love its tightness and speed, but its to dry for the rock music I listen to which is what I listened to most. The earthquake is great on most rock music, but can sometimes be to boomy for movies, and quick bass.( not sure of the Q .707 - .8?) (Im selling the earthquake soon)

Since Q is the biggest factor in the sound of the sub which Q should I go for?

I am buildinf a passive radiator setup, FOR MY NEEDs, will a Q of .647 work? or should I go with a Q of .707?

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, only you can answer this one since it's the sub + room that determines the final Q at the listening position. Not being familiar with the FR of either sub, about the best advice I can give is that based on your comments, measure the in-room response of both and design a sub that splits the difference.

That said, in general, a sub designed with a typical free/shareware program will have a higher Q than predicted in action due to VC heating and/or other non-linearities. If it's stuck in a corner, the in-room Q goes up a bunch more.

For this reason an EBS alignment usually is the best compromise for music/HT. Since you find the SVS 'dry' though, it sounds like it probably won't work for you, and since you don't know the Q of the Earthquake or have any hard data, I tend to support your guesstimate.

GM