What's new

Sub Q of .647 ??? (1 Viewer)

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
I have currently have two subs an SVS 25-31, and an earthquake supernova III. The SVS I know has a Q of around .577, and I love its tightness and speed, but its to dry for the rock music I listen to which is what I listened to most. The earthquake is great on most rock music, but can sometimes be to boomy for movies, and quick bass.( not sure of the Q .707 - .8?) (Im selling the earthquake soon)

Since Q is the biggest factor in the sound of the sub which Q should I go for?

I am buildinf a passive radiator setup, FOR MY NEEDs, will a Q of .647 work? or should I go with a Q of .707?

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, only you can answer this one since it's the sub + room that determines the final Q at the listening position. Not being familiar with the FR of either sub, about the best advice I can give is that based on your comments, measure the in-room response of both and design a sub that splits the difference.

That said, in general, a sub designed with a typical free/shareware program will have a higher Q than predicted in action due to VC heating and/or other non-linearities. If it's stuck in a corner, the in-room Q goes up a bunch more.

For this reason an EBS alignment usually is the best compromise for music/HT. Since you find the SVS 'dry' though, it sounds like it probably won't work for you, and since you don't know the Q of the Earthquake or have any hard data, I tend to support your guesstimate.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.