Sub Q: Box vs. Cylinder Differences?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Szott, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Hi All,

Been looking into new subs and SVS in particular. Was wondering is there a difference in the sound of comparable box vs. cylinder subs? For example, SVS has the PB1-ISD box sub and the 20-39PCi cylinder sub for $599 each. From what I can tell, the stats (freq range, amp power) is bascally the same. Would these two subs sound more or less exactly the same? If not, what are the differences and why?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but it's something I was wondering about while checking out the SVS site. Thanks...

2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

The PCi is tunable to 16hz easilty while the PB1 is around 22hz.

Having heard both I would recommend either one. Well actually the PC2039+ and my parents PB1. For movies they are great for music I would lean to the box.

Having had the PC2309+ and now the PB2+ and listening to my parents PB1 they all sound(ed) great. The PB2 easily had move power and seemed to dig a littler deeper than the PC but they were all amazing. My parents are in there sixties and the whole timethe movie was playing the sat there is awe.

With that said for $300 more than the PB1 or 2039pci step it up a notch to the PB2isd.

As I said before either way you go it is going to be an awesome first sub. For $600 it is surely tough to be any were in the retail market.

Joe, drop [email protected] an email. I believe he hangs out in Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs home of Intel FAB23.

3. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

There's a bit of a primer on the box v. cylinder question on our FAQ's page here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#cylinderorbox

We wrote that before some of the mega output multi-driver boxes we now offer but on a similar box comparison basis (say a PCi to to a PB1-ISD, or a PB1-Plus to a PC-Plus) you'll find the discussion still applies.

"Intel FAB 23"?? If it's the new plant on Garden of the Gods then I can hit it from my house with a rock (OK, rifle shot, my house is up a good bit higher about a mile away).

But since I'm reading "Fast Food Nation" right now I'm thinking "The Springs" is more of the epicenter in the decline of Western Civilization as we know it ;^) The fact that's where SVS has its Sales and Marketing office is pure coincidence 8^0

Ron

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Hey I just noticed you're at Co Springs. I was stationed at Ft. Carson, CO, I was not MI(my fiancee is) but I was in an MI unit.

5. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Ron,

I almost ended up at thtat FAB. But at the last minute decided to accept a job at the Intel FAB in Masachusetts.

Wish I did being a huge Avalanche fan.

Any updates on the PBUltras?[​IMG]

Scott

6. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

Still moving ahead. We're working the last little bit of refinement of the CAD/CNC work inside and should have some more hard news in about a week or two. Once it's clear we've got the final details done and tested we'll open the gates for pre-orders.

Could be a bit past the original 1 OCT target but not much. Shipping should follow quickly on the heels of this pre-order too. The PB1-Plus and PB2-Ultra are being done with our high end cabinet shop, same facility as the B4-Plus so we can do very fine work very quickly since they not meant for mass production in the same sense of the scale the PB1-ISD and PB2-Plus are.

Despite the US losing manufacturing jobs by the thousand there are ways to leverage workmanship here that gets you both high quality and quick turnaround fortunately!

When you see a PB2-Ultra you'll know what I mean immediately. Not having to ship that job off to a foreign supplier is a big source or pride for us at SVS.

The only wild-card in the actual release of the PB2-Ultra is the parametric EQ feature-set on the amp. We're awaiting production samples as we speak from our Toronto Canada supplier and when/if it all comes thru testing we should be able to nail a shipping date for both of the above models. Prototyping went very well though and we're cautiously optimistic that any powered Ultra product (PB2-Ultra, PC-Ultra etc) will be debut with this nice control built in.

Ron