Sub purely for Music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Cheung, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

What sub would you recommend purely for listening to music? I listen to trance and techno so I need something that really delivers tonnes of bass. I'm putting it in a fairly large room so the sound will definetly travel well. Thanx

2. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

Just a few questions:

What is your budget? What are the other components in your system? Do you often listen to other types of music save trance and techno?

If you don't mind me asking, where in Alberta do you live?

3. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey Justin.

Im sorry to leech off the thread, but I also happened to live in Calgary, and I if you dont mind, can I ask you where you get your HT stuff? Im in the process of trying to find a plate to audition some Paradigm/B&W/Energy/JBL/Klipsh type speakers, I haven't found a place yet. It would especially hurt me to have it shipped from somewhere.

Also, do you know if there is an Adire local retailers somwehre so I can get my stuff without having it shipped?

Joe,
    Purely for music, you might want to condering getting quality main speakers such a B&W or one of the one's I've listed above.

Otherwise, I would suggest building your own sub consisting of ether a sealed Shiva or Tempest as it would give a very tight a clean bass perfect for music.

Cheers.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd think a higher tuned bass reflex would be better for trance/techno.
    Adire for the most part isn't sold in store front type operations. There is only one Canadian dealer, and I don't believe he carries all of their stuff. I believe he's based somewhere in BC now.
    http://www.creativesound.ca/
    He's currently offering the Tempest for $240CDN including shipping.

5. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

Hi Jack,

The place to audition B&W and Paradigm would be Sounds of Music. A&B Sound sells Energy and I think Future Shop sells JBL. I don't know a thing about Adire, but Dustin has that covered.

I do not personally own any HT gear (more of a 2ch audiofool), but I am interested in HT and I helped my parents choose their system. The speakers were Mordaunt Short, purchased from the Audio Room (mainly 2ch stereo store but does have a theater room and sells audio portion of HT). I believe they also had some Klipsch speakers in stock. Happy listening!

6. harvey_mason

harvey_mason Agent

I would go with the paradigm pw-2200 hands down......

That sub is great for music as well as HT.

I highly recommend it.. 2 thumbs UP!!!!!!!!!!!

harvey

7. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Jon:
    Do you listen only to stereo or to multi-channel as well? It's can be hard to get the bass balanced for all channels when running full-range all around. Crossing over to a sub can make it easier and a lot cheaper. For two-channel music it's a little easier.
    Jack:
    General Audio in Calgary also carries Paradigm. They're just a few blocks from Sounds of Music so you can check them both out. GA is a lot smaller than SoM but they usually have a room with a Paradigm system set up so you can demo them. The last time I was at Sounds of Music they only had McIntosh, B&W, and a couple other brands set up in demo rooms. I don't recall seeing the Paradigms or even lower end B&W's anywhere but sitting against the wall. I'm sure they'd set some up if you asked though. I must admit, it's worth the trip just to see the Nautilus 801's. When a speaker looks that cool, it's almost a let down to actually hear them!
    If you go to A&B be sure to go to their downtown location. To the best of my knowledge it's the only A&B location in Calgary with a high-end audio department. It's located upstairs through the classical section. There is the usual low end stuff like cube systems and HTIAB's on the main floor that is the same as any store would carry too. Don't stop there and think you've seen it all. [​IMG]
    Another great place to check out is K&W Audio. Again, it's not far from either SoM or GA. They sell Totem and a few other brands. If you don't see it out front, ask. They have an amazing ammount of stuff upstairs. They have some of the best salespeople around too. Very knowledgable and friendly.

8. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

man i know the sub for you, I have 2 pw2200's but the dealer loaned me a Paradigm ps1200 version 3, this bandpass sub hits hard in the 35 to 55 hz range it would out gun one of my pw2200 in that range, they will not go as deep as the 2200 but for impact and punch it does well, the version 3 is night and day different from the sub tested by tom n. listen to one I bet you will buy it
    Mark

9. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Awesome thanks guys. I listen to mostly trance, some rap and alternative but mostly trance. I live in Edmonton and there is a sweet place here called Audio Arc which sells paradigm, B&W, Klipsh for pretty amazing prices. I actually heard one of the Paradigm subs, I forget the model but it sound amazing. The system that I have right now isn't to great, just some of my dad's speakers, good but kindof old. I'm gonna for sure get either the Paradigm Monitor 11's or the 90P's. If I were to build my own sub, it would probably consist of a Tempest but what would be the ideal amp for it? I'm not to familiar to home theater equipement but I do know a fair bit about car audio. Thanks for all your guys' replys!!

10. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

For trance/rap music I suggest the 122L sealed Tempest. A DIY (do-it-yourself) Tempest could easliy rival a multi-grand retail sub. Get out the woodworking tools!
    IMO the ideal amp is the AVA250 from Adire or the PartsExpress.com amp rated at 250w also.
    Click here to see Adire amp
    Click here to see PE amp: PE 250

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

A less than 200L enclosure tuned to over 20hz with a 6" port could also be fun for Techo/Trance.

12. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Try auditioning Velodyne they are the best sub out there when it comes to music, so clean and tight with less then 1% total harmonic distortion a little price'e but worth every penny!![​IMG]

13. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

A Paradigm sub would certainly be a good choice.
    I would also recommend you look at D-Box sub-woofers, http://www.d-box.com. They offer great performance at a reasonable price. I've heard the Sub 600 (now discontinued) and it delivered lots of clean, deep bass with musical material. I also like trance music, and while you want a sub capable of delivering high output with good punch, I find the sub needs to be quick enough to keep up with the pace of the bass-lines or the music looses some of it's rhythm and drive. In this respect, I think the D-box subs would better the Paradigms. If you can, audition both and decide for yourself. As a side note, I own a B&W ASW 1000 sub and I would not recommend it or other B&W subs for your needs (unless you go for the bigger and much more expensive ASW 4000).