Sub produces no sound from the LFE channel.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KellyR, Mar 24, 2004.

1. KellyR

KellyR Agent

I got a new sub (Yamaha YST-SW315) and while calibrating it through AVIA it produces no sound when it gets to the LFE section. All other test sections produce bass throught the sub, but again, only the LFE test produces no sound. The sub has a radio shack 1-2 RCA Subwoofer cable with the reciever end plugged into the "Sub W. Pre-out" and the y-end pluggend into the L. & R. intpu jacks (the cord didn't specify a side so I just put them in). Is it okay that no sound was produced or is their some other problem going on? For reference I have a Pioneer VSX-D812 receiver.

Also, in postioning the sub, is it best to have it running perpendicular with the corner (parallel with the sides of the wall) or tilted towards the listening area. I would guess it wouldn't matter since it's a down firing sub. I also put my sub on a peice of laminated heavy wood (instead of my carpet) is this good or bad?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Something is bonkers with your receiver's bass management if your sub isn't getting any LFE output. You should probably check your settings with where bass is being routed, that other bass is being routed to the subs from the mains (are you sure?) indicates that something might be broken even, but it's probably a settings proiblem.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

does that receiver have a separate lfe out?

4. KellyR

KellyR Agent

I'm not quite sure about what's going on, but I just got through watching LOTR:TT EE and my sub was thumping good. I might try fooing around with it again when I get home from school, but it seems like everything is going fine. If the bass seems awesome in movies (I haven't played any music yet), does that mean that the LFE signal is fine? I'm assuming it is. Maybe I should run AVIA again tommarrow. I'll post back later in the afternoon with the results. Thanks for replying and trying to help. Anyone else with suggestions, I would greatly appreciat you sharing them. Anyways, until tommarrow. (P.S. I officially was bitten by the bug tonight :wink: )

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Set all speakers to small, and the sub to on/yes.

Your AVR might have an LFE channel (.1) level control. Don't confuse this control with the subwoofer level. Check to be sure the LFE channel isn't heavily attenuated or shut off.

Also, if you have a bass peak limiter, make sure that is shut off too.

There are two locations on the Avia disc which use the LFE channel. The reverse sweep, and the 6 channel subwoofer panning test.

The panning test has an incorrectly encoded LFE channel level, and the sub output level typically drops about 8 dB when it pans over the .1 section. If your Avia disc does this, ignore it; it is an encoding error.

Use the LFE channel reverse sweep instead to determine if your LFE channel is working. If you get nothing, see above and check all your BM settings.

6. KellyR

KellyR Agent

I set the speakers to small. I set their crossover at 100 Hz, and the LFE attenuator settings are at 0 db. Still I get nothing in the reverse sweep test (The signal in the pan test works fine. I wonder if it is a disc problem? I can't figure out what's going on, but my bass sounds great for now on everything I've watched so I really can't complain. I'll do a little more lurking around the net and see what I can come up with.

Edit: I emailed the boys at AVIA to see if they know of anything either. Hopefully they write back.