Sub Pre-out = is it that important?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rich Moorehead, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Rich Moorehead

im looking to get the Denon DRA-685 stereo receiver but it has no sub pre-out and i want to get a sub.what other ways can i hook the sub up? and will it compromise performance of the sub at all? by the way, the sub is a HSU vtf-2. thanks guys.

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

I'm not familiar with that sub, does it have IN/OUT terminals to connect speaker wire? If so then run speaker wire from Rcvr L/R Out -> Sub -> L/R main spkrs.

3. Rich Moorehead

but does doing that compromise performance?

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I assume since you're getting a sub, the speakers that you have don't have good bass response, so you should probably also consider getting a high pass filter.

I don't think it should affect the sound quality too much, but I don't have a lot of experience in these matters, either.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well as long as you are only going for 2-channel music - you can get away with it. You can always run speaker wire to the sub, let the sub strip off the sounds it wants, then more speaker wire to your L/R speakers.

But... good AV receivers with Dolby Digital, 5.1 outputs are available for $300. Why do you want a stereo-only receiver?

6. Rich Moorehead

you get the most bang for your buck with a 2 channel. instead of paying to power 5 or 6 speakers, you can get a very powerful receiver to power 2 speakers for cheap. say denon for instance, their dra-685 is 100x2 and i can get it for 300$. if i were to get a denon surround receiver that powers 100 to each channel it would be like 800$ or more.

7. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

as Bob said you can pick up some good surround sound recievers for a similar price and there can be some advantages to them as well. what's nice about 5.1 capable recievers is first of all they have the subwoofer pre-out you were looking for. As well as if you don't mind putting in the extra speakers it makes music much better. You can put many recievers in an "All channel stereo" mode where you will hear stereo sound from all speakers in the setup, and it fills the room with much more sound since it is coming from all directions instead of only 2 l/r speakers. (I found this ideal for myself when listening to music on my 6.1 system.) They also have the appropriate jacks for hooking up high resolution audio players like SACD and DVD-Audio. If you are mainly using the reciever for music this can be nice because this year SACD and DVD-Audio have grown in popularity and i'm sure at some point all recording artists will be recording in a high resolution format. these two formats have twice the resolution of a normal cd and many are in 5.1 surround sound, and it's the most unbelievably clear thing I have ever heard! Also one thing to remember when your shopping for a reciever, don't just look at wattage because it can be misleading. For example some recievers like Harman Kardon or Onkyo are "high current" recievers that list wattage differently. for example the HK AVR525, that retails $999 only has 75watts/channel, but because it is high current, that is a constant wattage you get per channel. whereas non high current recievers list wattage as dynamic, meaning the maximum power the reciever can output at any given point in time. Just so you know. But those are the advantages of a 5.1 capable reciever but you will most likely spend more money on one. It all comes down to what you want to do with the reciever, if all you want to do is 2 speakers and the above advantages don't sound like it's worth the extra cash, go for the 2 channel reciever. hope this helps a little.

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor