Sub: powered or no?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Norris, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a sub for my viewing room: 15' wide, 17' deep, 9' high. From reading the forum, I've narrowed my choices to SVS or HSU, there are fanatics on both camps apparently. I have an extra 5.1 receiver (Sony STR-DA80ES), can I use it to drive a non-powered sub? I believe it's rated at somewhere around 80w/c. My budget is between $500-$800. Would it be better, in terms of setting up and quality of the thunderous bass, to get a powered sub? I haven't checked out Hsu's website yet, but on SVS' site, they have cylinders (powered and passive), and boxy subs. I really like the look of the cylinder sub. I like loud, window rattling thunderous bass. What do you guys recommend? Specifically which model from each brand that will suit my room? I don't mean to start another war between SVS and HSU.

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You should have no problem using that receiver without issue to power a passive SVS. If you find it isn't enough power down the road, you can always pick up a separate amp to drive the sub, but it will work fine until then.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Having the amp built into the sub has the advantage of being cleaner, less kludgy if that matter to you.