Sub "pops" when ceiling fan turns on

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by wes18, Jun 7, 2004.

1. wes18

wes18 Agent

I'll start of by stating that I am not an electrician or handy man so please keep that in mind.

I have a ceiling light/fan unit in my family room along with the entertainment center. There are times when I switch the fan on to a different speed that I hear a faint, but noticeable, "pop" from my sub (Servo 15). The thing that confuses me is that the entertainment center is on a dedicated circuit. It used to be on the same one as the ceiling light/fan unit but I had a dedicated one installed a couple months ago solely for the AV equipment. I do know that the electrician that wired it mentioned something about some odd/even combination on the neutral? (white) wire so that he was able to tie it to the existing one in the family room.

Any one else have this happen? Is it a threat to my sub? I have unplugged the sub until I get this resolve.

Thanks

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I think this is pretty simple. The same thing happened in my dorm room when I turned the fridge on or off. There was a LOUD pop. This is simply because there is a large amount of current drawn by the fan/fridge or whatever and this hits the sub and causes a pop. I could be wrong with some of the details but a surge protector might help, but I don't think its gonna hurt the sub. Mine is fine and this happened VERY loud for a long time

3. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

'Could be that the RF interference caused by the minute arcing that commonly occurs in household appliance switches while they're being switched on/off or faster/slower is being picked up by some component in your audio system, maybe even the sub amp. I see no cause for alarm.

Any type of electrical arcing produces RF interference.