What's new

Sub Placement (1 Viewer)

Doug Lachman

Auditioning
I have the Sony SAMW-40 Sub and have had to place it the back corner of my family room. I have it angled to point at the back wall at 45 degree angle. Is this right? I am afraid that if I point it parallel to the back or side walls it will be aimed directly at one of the sitting positions and it will be uncomfortably load for someone.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Don't be afraid to try it in as many different ways as you can, including pointed in different directions.

Bass below about 80 Hz has no directional qualities, so driver orientation will have little overall effect. Phase may come in to play, but that's why there are phase and volume controls.

Calibrate for best effect.

Good Luck!

- CM

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Hey Doug, experiment with placement. I have found that the corner at an angle works good in my room and many other rooms I have tried it in. I am actually having a problem with sub placement right now due to my new set up makes it almost impossible to put my sub in the corner.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jeff- I have also seen that 1/3 to 2/5 down the length of the longest wall can work. Output is less than that of a corner, but smoother freq response.

ling_w

Second Unit
The 1/3, 2/5, 1/2 along the length of the room placement concept all depends on which room mode you would like to minimize. At 1/2 along the length of the room, 1st room mode is not excitable. 1/3 the way, you minimize the excitation of 1st and 2nd mode. And at 2/5, you try to minimize 1st, 2nd and 3rd mode. It will all depend on what the crossover freq of the sub, how many modes there are below the crossover freq and which freq are excited the most at the listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks