Sub placement questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Kasprzak, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Mark Kasprzak

I'll be moving into a new house shortly, and I'm going to be picking up an RPTV. I got the dimensions of the one I'm looking at, and went to the house the other day to measure things out. There's pretty much only one place that the TV can go. The placement of the set will leave me with just enough space for my audio cabinet and my subwoofer. I can't really explain it, so here's a crude ASCII diagram - Sorry about all of the periods, spaces aren't parsed. [​IMG]
    (S=Sub, C=Cabinet, T=TV, X= Cold air return/seating area)
    -------------....--
    |SCTTTTTTT.....|
    |.....................|
    |.....................|
    |.....................|
    |.....................|
    .........XX......../
    ...__________/
    So, my question is: Will having the subwoofer in such close proximity to the audio cabinet be bad for my equipment? How are home DVD players with shock/anti-skip protection? Furthermore, How will the audio be affected?
    If there's anything really bad about having the Sub right next to everything, I guess I'll have to go with a 57 inch set instead of 65, but Size isn't something I'd give up easily. [​IMG]
    Thanks for any help!

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Mark,
    My KSW12 sub is less than 12 inches from my audio cabinet and I have not noticed any problems with audio or video. My DVD player is a Sony unit and has never skipped a beat with DVD or CD. This is with volumes that would chase people out of the room.
    Haven't dragged the turntable out of the basement but have to assume I would need some kind of isolation for that
    [​IMG]
    IMHO go for the larger RPTV and don't worry about the sub affecting things.

3. Mark Kasprzak

4. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

For awhile there I had my equipment ON my subwoofer a few inches away from my Toshiba rptv. No problems at all. Just get the biggest rptv you can fit/afford. You can never get a tv that "too big". [​IMG]

5. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Do you have to have the sub up front? Can you put it behind the seating area? I had the same problem as you. We went with a 65" Mitsubishi which only left enough room for the rack. I ended up putting two 12" DIY subs right behind the seating area.

6. Mark Kasprzak

7. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I think I understand what you mean. I don't get the sense that the bass is directional to me it feels like it's throughout the room.
    It seems in my room the best place for the subs ended up being behind the seats. In the beginning when I tried them up front I noticed I didn't have as much output and had to really turn up levels when calibrating them. I tried them in other areas of the room also and in the end the best place was behind the seats.
    I've had people over to demo my system and they felt the bass was fine and that it wasn't directional at all.
    You'll probably have to experiment to find your best location, but I thought I'd throw out the idea.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    So in that diagram, where are your mains?!

My sub is less than a foot from my rack and I have no problems.

9. Mark Kasprzak

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If I had a chance to go for a bigger display and I did not even have soace for a sub up front, I would do it, then place the sub at the back of the room. In your case, you have the space.

11. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Looks to me like a small room. If high SPL isn't a problem then why not have the sub against a wall and not corner loaded. There are probably many places to put them against a wall.

Sure the sub will cause vibrations but you say the equiptment is inside a cabinet. I think that will likely end up spacing the sub from the equiptment enough so as not to cause any problems.

If space is really a concern you could mount the sub in a ceiling corner to the frame. I've heard subs 4" from the ceiling that sounded just fine but that might be overkill.

I havn't heard subs that were behind or beside the listener that I liked but I still say it's worth a shot.

12. Mark Kasprzak

Well, there's an open doorway on either side of the room, so I can move the Sub out from the corner about 2-3 feet. If I go past the doorway, then the sub would be fairly close to the listening position, which I've been trying to avoid. But, I will try moving it closer and see how it sounds. As far as mounting it in a corner near the ceiling - it's an SVS 25-31, so I don't think that will work. [​IMG]