Sub Placement Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arron H, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Are there any potential problems with placing the sub along the rear wall with the sub's driver firing toward the front speakers? I am wondering if having the sub's driver firing toward the fronts and the front's drivers firing toward the sub will lead to cancellation problems.

2. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I am going to repost this as a "which is worst" question:

1. Rear placement about 1 ft from the corner with the sub firing across the 17x14x8 living room toward the 12x9x8 dining room. With this placement, the sub has 29 ft of open space in front of it. There is no way to close off the dining room.

2. Rear placement about 2.5 feet from the corner along the rear wall firing towards the front of the 17x14x8 living room. The sub would be between the rear speakers firing towards just inside the right front speaker.

Any ideas? I know that both placements are less than ideal but the front of the room is very crowded and it's preety much impossible to fit the sub up front.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It really doesn't matter where the sub is pointed. That is what your Phase control, which you hopefully have on your sub, is for.

How do you know this is the correct location for the sub? Have you done any room tests to find out what location sounds the best?

Which is worse? Putting the sub where you think it should go or where it sounds good with respect to your room?

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

John,
    Thanks for the reply.