Sub placement question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BrianWH, Feb 2, 2004.

1. BrianWH

BrianWH Agent

I have a limited number of places I can place my sub as my room and furniture are tricky to work around. I currently have it placed in a corner, forward-firing (bass port in rear) between a wall and my ent. ctr.

Is this location hurting bass quality and would it be better placed in the corner to the right of my ent. ctr.?

See the pics at my HT site below.

Thanks for the help,
    Brian

My Home Theater

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Try it in both positions. I'm going to say it won't make much, if any difference at all.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I think John’s right. Theoretically the right corner might be better, since it is a solid wall, but I doubt you’ll hear any difference between the two.

What would make an improvement, however, would be to get a dedicated parametric equalizer for the sub. You’ll never get the maximum performance from a sub that isn’t equalized.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Kenwood equalizer long time ago and I do believe it has a parametric setting, would it work for any sub?

The model is KE-7300 which is a stereo eq with display.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    “Would it work,” as in “will I hear changes when I move a slider?” Yes. Will it precisely tune your sub’s room response? No. Those kinds of equalizers are basically sophisticated tone controls. They’re nice for doing a little tweaking to a recording that may be overly bright or have “dark” vocals, but they will do at best only an approximate job of fine-tuning a sub.