Sub placement & newbie greeting.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllanN, Mar 21, 2002.

1. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Ok please don’t laugh. I have a Venturer Home Theater System

VNT STS13S. I know people have easily spent the same amount of money on one interconnect cable as I did on the whole system, but its better than watching DVD's from the video out on my computer and my computer speakers.

I originally had the sub placed in the center of the room under my coffee table in front of the couch (the main seating area). After reading in the forums about sub placement I decided to move it behind my entertainment center that sits at a 45 degree angle to the corner of the room.

This made all the difference in the word. It sounds louder back there. It’s more in sync with the sound coming from the other speakers. And it sounds less localized.

Now that I've caught the HT bug, graduated college (GO KENT STATE!!!!!!!!!), and got a decent job I'm planning on purchasing a setup based around a Sony WEGA monitor and a Sony ES receiver.

I will say for the price (about $280 at Circuit City) if you just want a basic 5.1 upgrade over listening out of the stereo speakers from your TV (or in my case a boom box with a line in) the Venturer is a damn good deal. It will serve me well as a basic second bedroom system once I get my new HT setup.

Thanks to everyone out there for all your help.

Allan Navecky

My current pathetic HT system.

Venturer Home Theater System

VNT STS13S (All in one DVD player reciever/amp)

RCA VCR

8 year old Magnavox TV

Proposed new HT system (All Sony Components)

Phase 1

36" WEGA TV KV-36FS13

Audio / Video Cabinet SU-36FD4

Phase 2

ES Receiver STR-V444ES

Front Speakers SSM-F600H

Surround SpeakersSSC-R505H

Subwoofer SA-WM40

Phase 3

5 Disk CD ChangerCDP-CE375

VCR SLV-N71

Progressive Scan DVDDVP-NS700P

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Just a suggestion, you may get better satisfaction if you allocate a bit more of your funds towards better speakers. Consider bookshelf models all around, as in HT the sub is best used doing the bass for the whole set. This will allow a better quality speaker for about the same investment. Personal taste rules all, however.

Also, consider a DVD/CD changer combo instead of seperate units. Again a money thing, but how often will you have a CD playing while you watch a DVD?

Good Luck, Have Fun!

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Thank's for the input. Im going to stick with the Sony speakers for now because I can get a discount on them. Ill probiably sell them and get another brand in the comming years.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Are you the guy who can get the whole rig for $330?

5. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Yeah, haveing friends in high (and sometimes in low places, although not in this situation) is a good thing. Im getting the speakers at about %40 off MSRP and the rest of the equipment at about %50 off MSRP.