What's new

Sub placement by TV (1 Viewer)

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a cheapie JBL E250P sub and Im kinda rearranging my HT room so that it looks more like the dolby 5.1 room that has been posted on here a few times.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
and I was wondering how close can I get my Sub to my TV mits WD-62327 DLP TV)and not bother it with the magnets or anything? 1 ft? 4 ft?

any insite/info would be great.
thanks,
Gavin

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The whole point of a subwoofer is that it is only supposed to reproduce the frequencies that your brain can't localize. Ideally, this allows the user to place the subwoofer in a corner so as to reinforce the Low Frequency output. And putting much of the bass in one cabinet helps to simplify acoustical calculations.

One might think that a sufficiently geeky audiophile would be able to look up the magic crossover frequency in the equivalent of CRC Tables, but it's not that simple. Consider this.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

With a DLP TV it's as close as you want. Magnetics won't really affect anything in it,it's only in CRTs where there is an electron beam involved, where magnetic fields will affect your display.

GregBe

Second Unit
I have mine right next to my RPTV with no issues. I had the same worries a while back. The advice I received was to try it, and see if when you move it close to the tv, you notice any picture distortion or color distortion. If not, you are ok. If you do, move the sub away until the picture looks normal again.

Greg

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I placed an SVS cylinder sub a few inches from the back of my LCD RP which is cornered at the 90 degree where 2 walls meet, the sub just fit in the triangle gap left behind the display. I had issues with the sub buzzing the cabinet. We used thin strips of dynamat on the back of the display to control the vibration. No issues with the video.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Guys please!

Magnetic interference only affects CRT displays! Why does everyone keep posting that their speakers/sub didn't mess up their DLP or LCD or plasma? Of course it won't.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Guys please!

Chris pleaaase, I was referring to a possible issue he might encounter, ....that of vibration, with an assurance no video issues. Of course.

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for all the really great info, I have been working on the method of putting the sub where I usually sit and crawling around and Ive had some good results. I will get it figured out just in time to buy some new gear and do it all over again ;)

Gavin

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
is there some reason post #2 is there? it doesn't address the poster's question at all.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Because it was posted?

The original query was this:

And while Dolby has good ideas on where satellite speakers should be placed, the subwoofer can be placed most anywhere, assuming that

a) the crossover is low enough that only non directional sounds can be heard.
b) wall or corner reinforcement is increased (possibly a good idea for a small sub) or decreased (the THX Ultra II scheme) as desired.

If the crossover is set high, then, yes, it should be placed at the front of the room, possibly nearest the center speaker. Dolby includes the subwoofer in its diagrams because they want to prevent newbies from screaming

"But where do I place the blasted subwoofer?"

And the answer is:

Where it sounds best. Different for every room, and every speaker setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks