sub phase switch, 0 or 180 degrees? explain???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan espinoza, Jan 8, 2003.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

Jul 1, 2002
    just wandering if someone can explain what and how exactly does that switch work? ive flipped it before but do not know what exactly its doin? if i have it on 0 or 180, what difference will i hear??? could someone please explain how this works thank i really appreciate it
    p.s. ive learned a lot on this forum and still learning[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Sep 22, 2002
    Set at 0 degrees it will drive the sub in phase with the mains. Set at 180, it will drive the sub out of phase with the mains.

If the sub is on the same wall as the mains, I advise keeping it set at 0 degrees.

If the sub is on an opposite wall, firing at the mains, I advise setting it to 180 degrees.

These are general rules of thumb; experiment and see which setting gives you the best bass response.

If your speaks are set to small, it probably won't have that much of an effect on the bass response, since the sub won't be "competing" with another bass source in the room. If the speaks are set to large, then it becomes more of a critical setting.