What's new

Sub & Overall Speaker Performance (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I have been running without a subwoofer for more than a year now, simply because I don't really care for heavy bass. I figure my front speakers will give me all the bass I need, but recently I have started to re-consider this approach. It occurred to me that if I let the front and surround speakers handle primarily midrange and highs, the quality of sound from these speakers might improve since I would not burden them with the deep bass signals. Am I correct in my new way of thinking ?

For reference, my front speakers are Wharfedale Emerald 97's (moderate size towers with two woofers at only 6" diameter). My center channel is also a Wharfedale Emerald, and my surrounds are Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary with a single 5" woofer.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
You are right on in that you'll get better performance out of your mains by taking the bass burden off them.

I have pretty capable towers. They are real good to about 45hz or so and have 7" woofers. I never run them without my sub for that very reason.

--Steve

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I've gone this route with my new system. However, I decided it would be smarter to have speakers that didn't require a x-over (as those can only have negative effects on the signal). So I went with ACI Essence Vs, which are sealed with a natural roll-off at 80 hz.

I don't have any problems integrating my Rava. The bass always comes from a location in the soundstage, and matching levels is easy with an spl meter.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Very correct in your assumptions and you will probably note better definition in your upper ranges when you set your mains to small. I have large main speakers with 12" woofs and with 100 watts going to them, they were better running small. Recently I put 200 watts to them and now run them on large and really get some tremendous sound from them.

A sub will add to your experience regardless how you run things.

SeanA

Second Unit
Thanks all for the feedback !!! I think I am going to start looking for a sub, but first a new receiver. I realize from your comments that my current receiver would not be able to take full advantage of a sub. I don't think it has any control for cross-over frequency and I don't think it even has the ability to set the mains to "small" at a fixed cross-over. I have looked through the receiver manual and it seems to only have the ability to set the center channel to large or small. Not good.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
That kinda sounds as if you do not have a LFE feed out from your receiver. Most subs allow you to run your mains speaker leads into it, then your mains out of the sub which then will use the onboard sub crossover to help with your crossover point. If so, that will allow a sub with your current setup and get you going and give you time to shop the next step.

Ain't it fun..........

SeanA

Second Unit
DonnyD,

Thanks... I did not know that. My receiver (Aiwa AV-D98) does have LFE, and the LFE output can be adjusted from 0 dB standard down to -20 dB in 5 dB increments. But that seems to be the extent of the control.

And yes it certainly is fun, but I am finding it can be expensive too !?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks