What's new

Sub outputs on stereo amps (1 Viewer)

Nick-N

Agent
I am looking into getting a stereo system, with a pair of speakers and a stereo amp. The speakers I'm considering are Magneplan MMGs, and for an amp Cambridge Audio Azur 540A/640A. However, the amp doesn't seem to have a subwoofer output - is this something to worry about? I had been thinking of getting a sub to complement the stereo speakers. I already know the amp sounds great, but should I look for an alternative that has a sub output?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
You will be hard-pressed to find any stereo, as in 2 channel, amps that has a sub output. However, there are alternatives....the Harman Kardon stereo receivers include a sub output. Another choice would be the Panasonic SA-XR series digital receivers used in stereo mode.

The Cambridge amps should have a second set of speaker outputs for bi-wiring/bi-amping. You can use those to connect to your powered sub via speaker cables.

Nick-N

Agent
Do you know if the H/K receiver allows you to set the crossover frequency for the sub output?

I was reading that if you run two sets of speakers from the Cambridge amp, they both needed to be atleast 6 ohms speakers. In other words, you can only use 4 ohm speakers on their own. With the MMGs being 4 ohm, wouldn't this make connecting a sub as well a bad idea?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I am not sure. The last time I checked their online owner's manual, there was no mention of adjustability.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I know the Denon models have a loop from the pre-amp out to the main-in for the amp. All you have to do is get some rca y-connectors to split them. That is what marantz(Denon) support told me.

Look at the last post in this thread I started:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=denon

There are pictures of the rear of the denon posted in there also that show what inputs/outputs I am talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks