What's new

sub output from a mini system? (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I was wondering if the RCA sub outputs on mini systems work the same way as a sub pre-out on a DD/DTS 5.1 receiver. I want to know specifically if the sub out on the mini system (Aiwa Z-M260) only sends out low frequencies? thanks

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I am not familiar with the specs of your system, but here is the general idea.
If it has a Dolby Digital decoder, then the sub output would be the LFE channel.
If it doesnt have a DD decoder, then it may be everthing under 100hz or so. Or, it may be a full range signal, and they expect you to use an external crossover. My suggestion: Read the manual.
Jeff Peake

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I'd look at the online manuals, but on Aiwa's site, they say they don't have it for some reason. The unit does not have a DD decoder.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
If the specs are not available, it's still fairly easy to check. Play a low frequency sweep like one in AVIA which runs from 200 to 20 Hz. While the tone descends, feel the subwoofer's driver and you'll be able to tell at what frequency it begins to receive a signal from that output. If you feel it already above 150 Hz the "sub" output is probably not low passed. If it's not low passed then simply dial in the sub's crossover to do the job. If it is low passed, then you'll feel the sub's driver start to vibrate when the sweep's frequency approaches the crossover frequency for the low pass filter.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks