What's new

Sub out Question....... (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ok I've got a Yamaha RX-V730 and Take 5+1 speaker system, currently I have the sub out of the receiver running into the main input on the subwoofer, now it also has a "X-over in" that bypasses the level and crossover in the subwoofer and allows an external crossover to control this for it. My question is my reciever does not have a variable x-over on the sub out its fixed at 90hz which happens to be the roll of of the satellites.

Should I just use the x-over in on the sub for a cleaner signal to the subwoofer and rely on its cross point and use the level control of the reciever? I've read that its better to run the sub this way than using its built in LPF and level controls.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Short answer: Yes.

Use the receivers xover (Should be a 4th order Linkwitz Riley at 90Hz in case you're interested) and defeat the subs xover. If you apply both then you are cascading the xovers which will cause a hole in the frequency response. You may not notice this, however, due to room modes and gain.

If the xover in bypasses the gain module on the sub as well, then make sure you can achieve the volume you want using the receivers subwoofer level control. If not, you'll have to do it the other way. In this case, set the xover on the sub to be as high as possible, then alter the phase control (if present) to achieve the most coherent bass.

Hope this helps. Take a look in the HTF FAQ for more info.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
yeah I actually have to tame it down to about -7.5 db for it to not be over powering using the xover in, I never thought about the fact of bypassing the xover/level on the sub since the Yammy has a preset xover frequency and non adjustable but it makes complete sense, I'm sure now that I've switched it I'll be much more happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks