Sub or receiver's crossover

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ben LG, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I read alot of articles and there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the recievers or sub's crossover should be used. First off, I have a AR sub connected to my Onkyo receiver's LFE preout to the sub using an RCA cable. I actually have a couple of questions so Ill just spit it out [​IMG]

Should I be using the line in or speaker terminals on the sub if Im concerned about quality?

If I was to set the crossover on the receiver at 100, should I do the same with the sub or dial it to the min (theres no switch to bypass the sub's crossover)?

and last, I have Infinity towers and I think they can extend down below 50hz but I cant check the specs cause Infinity's site is down atm so dont know if its accurate. Should I set the crossover at 80 or 100?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Stick with the line-level connection to your sub.

If you use the speaker level connection, most subs do not high-pass filter the output to the speakers that are connected to it, or they'll have a fixed frequency high-pass which is usually way too high. It's much too easy to leave a frequency response hole this way.