What's new

sub or new speakers (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
I have Definitive Technology bookshelf speakers now on stands and bipole surrounds with a Velodyne HGS 10 sub in my new dedicated H.T. and i'm just not getting the same amount of bass as before. Then I had a basement below so the floor transmitted bass energy but now the floor is concrete slab with carpet over it. My question is: would it be better to go with Def Tech 7006 with built in subs or would a new SVS be the ticket? I am reasonably pleased with the speakers I have but the lack of bass ain't cutting it.

MikeNg

Second Unit
For a dedicated HT, definitely the SVS.

The DT subs will probably do fine for music listening, but I doubt they will keep up with full-tilt movie action.

Most towers can't.

mylan

Screenwriter
My space is 15x18 but I have an opening into another room as well. The only thing that concerns me with the SVS is size. The way the room had to designed, the walls angle in toward the front, sort of like this /-. I might not have the room to put it in a corner with the speaker stands and cabinent already taking up most of the real estate. I could put it behind the sofa.
The Def Techs would have solved that problem plus there is a sub in the center speaker as well.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Even though the Def Techs have built-in subs, they will still not perform nearly as well as a dedicated subwoofer. Don't get me wrong, I like Def Tech speakers, but feel that when it comes to applying bass, there is no substitute for a dedicated subwoofer. The sub will allow more placment flexibility - and, you'll be able to move it around for the best sound/placement. The subs built into the Def Tech speakers will limit you in getting the most out of your bass.

mylan

Screenwriter
Thanks for your input. The three upfront Def Techs would have cost $1800, for that I can get one heck of an SVS sub.
Now, the only thing to consider is where to put it.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I concur with the others about getting a dedicated sub over towers with built-in subs and eschewing the sub.

mylan

Screenwriter
The point is pretty well taken but it begs the question: why even design and sell tower speakers when they are only going to be good for two channel music listening?

MikeNg

Second Unit
Because there are ACTUALLY people who only use it for 2-channel music-only! Not everyone cares to hit 100dB at 16 Hz.

It all depends on what you want out of your system. Some 'purists' feel that a true full range speaker is best when trying to accurately reproduce the source. Some feel that adding a dedicated sub is best for reproducing all the low end information that's there.

Some could care less either way, but none of those people are here at the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks