1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub Opinions: 1 to 1.5k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan H, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Hi all, and thanks for the great forum. I'm looking for opinions regarding the following subs, all of which I am considering to replace my MA ASW 210 (fast, but not enough slam for my PSB Goldi's, C6i, and Energy Veritas surrounds):
    Velodyne HGS-15, SVS CS-Ultra, Earthquake Supernova IV, and Bag End Infrasub-18.
    Room is 20 x 17
    60% movies, 40% music
    Components:
    EAD Powermaster 1000
    Denon 3300 (preamp only, soon to be B&K Ref 30)
    Toshiba SD-9200 (DVD, DVD-A, and CD)
    Homegrown Silver Lace interconnects all around
    Tosh 65h80 HDTV
    Thanks for any help!

2. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Hi Jan,
    Another you might consider is the new Monitor Audio FB 212...check it out. All your choices are good ones, and if interested, I can get you the HGS-15 and Monitor Audio FB 212 for a pretty decent discount(around 25% off...more on the Velo) from an authorized dealer. email me at [email protected] if interested.
    Randy
    ------------------

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jan,
    Any of those might please you well.
    If you look to SVS offerings I'd go with the dual 20-39CS and the Samson amp package, you can almost get under $1,000 with dual 25-31CS's, which together are about enough to blow out your windows with utterly clean bass (not the lowest extension we offer but still damn low).
    Limited to one sub the single CS-Ultra would be actually stonger down low, but would be a bit outgunned in the more common >30Hz arena. You pay a bit more for this power in a single enclosure though.
    Not sure if any but the Velo have been measured objectively by third parties but the FSR 15 listed here actually outperforms the HGS for comparison purposes:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subcomparo.htm
    Don't know much about the Earthquake, a powerful small box sub from what I've heard. Tom has some experience with the Infra's I think.
    Ron

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Ron and Randy,
    Thanks for the comments. I've also recently heard good things about th new line of Klipsch reference subs (RSW-15, in particular). Any thoughts out there? Regards, Jan.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Jan, the most accurate way to compare 4 subs like this(barring having all four in your room) is to find a reviewer who use objective performance verification during his review process. NOT the the anecdotal "my cat got so scared" or "my world was shaken". I'm refering to actual performance measurements of the product using repeatable methods. In this case, Tom Nousaine has measured 2 of the 4 products you listed...the HGS15 and the BAGEND. He has also measured the SVS 20-39cs. Nothing on the earthquake model.(although it seems like it could be a good unit).
    Tom Nousaine(TN) puts the subwoofer in the best corner of his 7500 cu-ft room and measures it's max CLEAN output(10% distortion limit)using a 2 meter mic distance...at various frequencies using test signals that closely mimic actual music/film bass.
    HGS15~107.7dB(max output averaged over the 25-63hz range)
    20-39cs~109.5dB(25-63hz)
    the BAGEND was measured in an older review for AUDIO. in this TN only went from 25-50hz. The 18" BAGEND hit 100.5dBs I believe.
    SVS has a couple CS_Ultras in the middle of a review by Tom Nousaine now...but it might takes months before you see anything published. I've personally found the CS_Ultra to have approx 2x(6-7dB) more clean output capability down low(compared to the 20-39)...and about 50%(3dB) more clean output capability >30hz.
    While my testing methods aren't the same as TN's...I would be surprised if he didn't measure (at least) a 3-4dB increase in clean output over the SVS 20-39cs. So I'm thinking the single CS_U should have about the same clean output capability as twin HGS15s would.
    I don't consider the BAGEND to be in the same league as the 15/18 HGS models...no idea on the earthquake unit though. How large is your room?
    TV

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the rsw15 should also be a good performer...it looks like a good design using quality components. I always have a hard time suggesting the purchase of a woof unless there's some published performance data on it though.Or at least some data from the same product line that we could extrapolate estimated performance with. For example, I often recommend the HGS18 although I've only seen the performance data for the HGS12 and HGS15.We'll probably be seeing something on the big Klipsch unit in a couple months I bet.
    TV

7. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Hey Jan,
    You might want to look into M&K subs as well. My MX125 (2 12's) has just the right compromise between depth and impact for me (mostly movies).
    JB

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jan: I went from an M&K MX-125 to a pair of SVS 20-39cs to a single SVS Ultra and I am not looking back. Each successive sub was an upgrade over the previous, IMO. If you opt for the Ultra, you probably need around 500 good watts minimum for full output. I am at the point now where I am wondering if I will ever need another subwoofer... then again, maybe another Ultra would be kinda nice. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

9. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

John Morris, you're just the kind of guy I want to talk to! I recently got an SVS 16-46PC, but am wondering if I should trade up to the Ultra. So you consider the Ultra to be an upgrade over TWO 20-39's? Why? Is it just pure volume output, or do you perceive a sound quality difference in the Ultra?
    What amp did you use with the twin 20-39's, and what amp are you using now for the Ultra?
    Any other comments you have which will help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    David Giles

10. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Thanks, all.
    J & J,
    I've heard many good things about M&K as well, particularly the 5000, but that's a bit out of my range at the moment (along with the Revel and the HGS-18). I've got to admit I'm leaning toward SVS based on the many rave comments found at this site. But something about owning a good Velodyne is very appealing. I've seen the HGS-15 used for around 1500 on audiogon.com and elsewhere. And the Ultra's price is even cheaper than that. Any PSB Goldi owners or listeners that might suggest a good match? Ah, the agony of choice! JH

11. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

RSW15 says 121db at 30hz (according to their own specs)
    haven't heard it yet, but if the rsw12 is any indication, then someone independant should take some measurements cause the 12 "quakes" my store!!!