Sub not working with new Amp with CD's..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_T_, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

When I play CD's, my subwoofer is no longer receiving any input from my Receiver since I hooked up an external amp. The sub has always been hooked up to the sub pre out on the receiver and has never had problems, it's working fine for any 5.1 DVD material. The only thing I did was to hook up the rest of the pre outs to the new amp. It's a Yamaha RX-v795.

I have tried sending the LF output to Both the mains and sub, and only the sub. There is no other control on the recceiver to do anything with the sub..

Any ideas??

2. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

What is your speaker size set to? (Small or large). This setting may be different for each source, depending on your receiver. When you've chosen the CD source, check your menu to see. Setting it to small will set the crossover higher, sending more material to the sub.

3. Mike_T_

I've got the speakers set to Large...much more bass goes to the speakers for CD music. I'll try small with CD's and see what happens..

Thanks!

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Mike - Does your receiver have a "direct mode" for 2 channel sources? Some do and most will NOT send anything to the sub if you have this mode selected.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I leave my Yamaha bass set to SWFR with all spkrs SMALL and using EFFECTS OFF with CDs get an active subwoofer.

Setting Mains to LARGE -- no subwoofer thump.

Adding a separate amp shouldn't make any difference in bass management; it didn't for me.

6. Mike_T_

Ahh I'm sure it's setting the speakers to large then. For two channel music, I've always had my sub, but, I've had my speakers set to small also.

Thanks guys! I'm sure that will work...