What's new

Sub next to couch -- bad for that person? (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
If you put a sub right next to a couch, is it going to be a problem for the person sitting on that side of the couch? Assume that the sub is properly calibrated.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Although subs are supposed to be omnidirectional, I would think if your actually sitting next to the thing you would have to notice or feel it more than another seating position farther away. Best thing is to sit there and see what you think.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
WayneO, problem is that I have to choose between 2 subs woofers, either SVS cylinder or Stryke minithunder. If I go with SVS its going behind my TV. If I go with stryke, it's going beside the couch. So its not like i can move the sub around :)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well based on your choices, are you going to purchase based solely on placement recommendations? Of your two placement options, which would be closer to a corner adn away from room openings? At the moment, putting the SVS behind the TV seems like the better and most unobtrusive option.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
There is nothing actually wrong with putting a sub next to the couch. You would want to delay it properly since it will be closer to your listening position than your main speakers.

Placement in a corner typically gets you the best results with the most ease of setup. I'm not sure if your TV is in a corner or not. One other thing is that the subs won't be shielded. If you have a standard tv, you'll need to keep it 3-4 feet away from the TV as a minimum or you will have lots of problems with the magnetic field messing up the screen.

For more info on the MiniThunder and SVS comparison you can check out the details on the sub here:

http://forum.stryke.com/viewtopic.php?t=130

John

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if your TV is in a corner or not. One other thing is that the subs won't be shielded. If you have a standard tv, you'll need to keep it 3-4 feet away from the TV as a minimum or you will have lots of problems with the magnetic field messing up the screen.
John, thanks for teh input. I've just placed an order for the SVS 25-31PCi cylinder and will be putting it behind my TV. All the forums I have posted in, and SVS themselves, say that this placement should have no affect on my TV. So looks like I'm good to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks