SUB-mariners Please Respond

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve WC, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I have been following most of the threads concerning subwoofers on this forum. I was 95% convinced to go for the Rava when I came across an old article in Sound and Vision that reviewed the Velodyne VLF 810 (8" forward firing with 10" Passive).

TN gave this sub a very good review (25hz at 91db), and said" The VLF could do 20hz with low distortion" and "on Jurassic Lunch the VLF 810 didn't begin to voice any complaints until the SPL meter registered a bone crunching 105 db, impressive for a $550.00 sub.

This sub is on sale for $399 shipping included so:

1. Will the Rava meet or surpass TN number's for the 810 (in real life)?

2. Why is this sub never recommended when people ask about subs in the $300-$500 price range?

3. Is Velodyne becoming the BOSE of Subwoofers?

Thanks in advance for you replies. I enjoyed this forum so much I became a member!!

Steve

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

NO Velo will not be the Bose of subwoofers anytime soon!!!
    I can't answer you question directly, but TOM N data is a strong andsolid foundation in which to take clean clear data from. And though I personaly have never heard the 8" Velo you speak of, Tom's info you posted is impressive.
    It certainly would be worth a listen!
    The RAVA on the other hand is no slouch. Most posts dealing with it, say music seems more it's speciality though it dose do doulbe time HT well. Take that for what you draw from it. Im sure you have read all the post dealing with it allready...??
    Maybe someone will chime in that owns the {Velo} you speak of and can give you thier take. Sounds like quite the little monster.
    Can you order the Velo and return if you are unhappy, like you can the RAVE???
    The price and Toms data on it sounds allureing to say the least.
    Regards
    Geoff

3. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Velodyne has a solid reputation. Here is the list and the model that you are referring to is on it. It' s just that at retail price, there are comparably priced subs with better numbers available- most notably the Hsu VTF-2 that can be had for as low as $425. For $399 though, the 810 sounds like a good deal.
    On a related issue, I don't quite understand why Adire paid TN to get the Dharma numbers out quickly but have not done the same for the Rava. I don't know where the Rava would fit on the list.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The Rava is not a sub to buy from an SPL list, really. I'd say it's more for a music system, but in a small room, its shallow rolloff can really get down deep with some room gain. Many find the sound to be quite different, also.

I guess Dan didn't want to wait the year for the free advertising of a magazine review with the Dharman, but I don't know if the Rava is slated for any reviews. I don't imagine it would be very high on that list, though.

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Get the Rava. The 12" Shiva is going to move tons more air that a 8". You'll be flogging the 8" for adequate output, whereas the Rava will just be crusing along....

6. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I personally would never buy an 8" sub. I auditioned a 8" Velodyne (not the one you are referring to) and it bottomed out easily on demanding bass material. For the same money, I would definately get a sub with a larger 10" or 12" driver. Just MHO...

7. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Are there any VLF-810 owners out there??

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Steve- If you only want to spend $400 or so, I would give the Hsu Research VTF-2 a look.

I have had Velodynes in the past, and have liked them very much, just that for the price, I think the Hsu is a much better deal.