What's new

Sub made into an endtable? (1 Viewer)

AdamN

Stunt Coordinator
Could a sub be used as an endtable?

I'm planning on making a MDF, forward firing, 128 L, sealed tempest box. It will be properlly braced and the inside sprayed with rubberized undercoating.

Could I use it as an endtable and put things on top of it (i.e. a lamp and an alarm clock).....or would it vibrate too much? Does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Thanks

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The heavier the sub, the less it will shake. If you use at least 3/4" mdf it shouldn't move around that much. I don't think you have to rubberize the inside if you don't want to, just put some polyester fiberfill if that's easier. It's like $2 per 20oz bag at Wallmart.

I've seen lots of coffee table subs. The biggest problem I see is that you then have to decide whether to place the sub for performance, or for convenience.

If the sub has spikes or is just well seated on the ground things shouldn't fall off.

AdamN

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, 3/4" MDF.

I always use rubber underized coating in my enclosures. It seems to take care of any resonation that may be there.

I'll also throw a bag of sand on the inside of the enclosure to help seat everything down. The whole thing should be in the 80 pound region and solid as a rock.

As far as placement...it will be in the optimum place in the room. Thats why I was pondering making the sub into an end table. I need an endtable right where the sub sounds best.

AdamN

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

hehe, funny you should mention that. That enclosure is what sparked my imagintaion. Its simply stunning and you are extremelly talented at woodworking. Great work Brian!

AdamN

Stunt Coordinator
I beleive its a faux marble. Either some kind of finish on wood or some kind of plastic material. I seem to remeber a thread about it somewhere. I'll try and dig it up. hold on...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My end-table EBS Shiva works great. I even have an inset glass top sitting on 1/2" adhesive rubber pads. The glass never shakes... sometimes remotes do at reference volume, but so do things on the other side of the room :) If it weren't in the corner surrounded by the couch and chairs in my small apartment living room i'd take some pictures.

Hope this helps :)

AdamN

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen, thanks for the input bud. I believe I remember seeing your box in my recent searching and I loved it.

Allen, here is the thread about the faux marble finish. Apparently its just wood with a painted faux marble finish. Looks awesome.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I'm going to be shooting for something like Stephen's, but will have to experiment with rubber feet for my smoked plexi top. The Kineda figure on my sub in the pictures got pretty rattley at volume and he moved around a little bit... and my box probably weighs around 100lbs.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Yeah when i have remotes sitting on my glass top and am listening at reference level, they tend to rattle, but the glass it's self doesn't seem to move at all. it's a pretty exact fit and the rubber pads keep it in place very well. I don't think i've posted pics since i added the glass, but I'm considering re-staining my trim pieces to better match some other furniture, maybe a maple instead of the golden oak i'm using now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.