Sub lost its Oomph!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Malcolm R, May 29, 2003.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I have a Yamaha YST-SW205 subwoofer.

As I was listening to some music over the past weekend, the sub seemed to cut out all of a sudden and I lost all the deep, rumbling bass.

Through some investigation, it seems the sub is still operating, but it doesn't seem to have the deep, floor-shaking bass it once did.

There may have been a brief power interruption while the sub was turned on. It was late at night, and I had nodded off :b, and the power re-setting the TV, computer, and other equipment woke me up. I can't recall if the sub was turned on, but it might have been. I also checked all my settings on my receiver and everything seems to be normal.

Is it possible a power surge may have somehow damaged the sub so that it's not operating over its full range? It seems to still be working, and there is some bass, but the really deep bass is gone. Even stranger, it seemed to be fine when I first started playing the music (after the power interruption from a couple days before), as it cut out in the middle of a song.

And is this likely a sub issue, or is it possible for the sub output on my receiver to have been damaged in some way? The receiver seems to operate normally, it's just the LFE/sub channels that aren't being reproduced as they were.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Most of the time it either works or its dead. In otherwords, unusual (but not imposible) for it to be working but weak. Are you sure its moving air ? Make sure the driver is moving. Low base from your other speakers may sound uncanily like comming from the sub- you must feel air or driver movement to be sure its working. Also, was the sub moved ? Even moving 1 foot can make an audible difference. Did the power outage fry your receiver setup settings ? Double check those again. When your receiver cycles throught the test tones, does the sub play its turn ?

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Didn't try the receiver test tones, but did run through the THX Optimode from one of my DVD's and the sub seemed to play OK.

EDIT: Well I don't know what's going on. I played a couple movies and some music tonight, and played around with the levels a bit more, and everything seems fine again. I must be losing my mind. Thanks for your suggestions, Brian. Sorry for the false alarm. :b